We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win 7 System Restore

Clapton is God
Resolved

Likes # 0

My O/S is Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit.

Is it possible to 'tweak' system restore so that it automatically creates a restore point at an interval set by me (every 6 hours for instance)?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

The link below seems to have what you want. You will need to delete older points and decide how much space to devote. I prefer to do a virus and malware check and a defrag before making a restore point. Windows ,as you know, makes one prior to installing updates. I prefer an ATI image of my OS and a mirror copy of my data.

System restore manager

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

Thanks for that.

So, I guess what you're saying is that it's not possible within Windows itself to set my own restore point intervals (although I see from your link that the Win 7 default is 24 hours).

However, the freeware in your link seems to be able to do what I want.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Clapton isn't,Hendrix is.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

CiG

Hope it works for you, but the danger is if a "nasty" gets in, it will be in the restore point unless you scan before creating one. If it id data you want to keep backed up, I would create a "Master" folder with all hour data sub folders and use either SynchToy or (I prefer) Freefilesynch to make "mirror image " copies. I do it daily (to another drive), and once you make one copy, which takes a bit of time, subsequent copies take less than a minute as only new, deleted or modified files are involved. Not much point in backing up whole system so frequently, IMHO

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I use Acronis for creating complete drive images every two weeks and use NonStop backup (it is nonstop)included in Acronis for all of my data. I also have Allway Sync synchronising my data. Using either Non Stop and Allway Sync you are able to recover old versions of the file being backed up and a very useful feature it is.

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

john bunyan and compumac Thanks for that. I'll certainly take your comments on board!

Chronus Yawn.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...