We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

lost document

palinka
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just spent an hour writing a wordd doc and then clicked "No" to"Save changes?". So of course it has vanished .

My OS is Vista which means i can do a search for phrases included in the doc, but that hasn't helped either.

IS there any solution, please?

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

When you say you clicked clicked "No" to "save CHANGES", then did it exist before you worked upon it? .

Like this post
mimosa418

Likes # 0

Assume you are using Word It would exist originally as a blank document. Did you have auto save on. Search for 'auto save' in the Word Help for instructions. You may be lucky and have at least some of your document.

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

Compumac, I had previously saved a doc called (let's say) "Letter"; then i opened it and added a lot to it and saved it as "letter B" and deleted the original saved "Letter". It was Letter B that I lost, and of course even the small part that was "Letter"is no longer available because I knowingly deleted that! It's what comes of being in a hurry and trying to do several things at once. Thanks for your suggestion , Mimosa418; I'll try that.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

You say that you "saved" Letter B, so if it was "saved" without you deleting it, it should be still around somewhere. Where are your saved documents located?

It might be possible to recover the original "letter" if it has not been overwritten.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Addendun: 1) Look in recycle bin. 2) Try using Recuva.

Like this post  
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

I'm a little confused. If you opened the original letter/doc to add to it you would not be able to delete this files until you saved it under a different name or closed the file before deleting. After deletion of the file it would have been put into your recycle bin unless you have emptied it.

You say "I had previously saved a doc called (let's say) "Letter"; then I opened it and added a lot to it and saved it as letter B"; did you save it as letter B after alterations or was you going to save it and then selected no. If you did not save it you have lost all you have retyped.

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

suspect I did the latter, Brynit.
Not surprised you are confused - I was douing cpom-licqted changes to something that started life as an email, then became Word doc and then became a different Word doc.

Decided that in the end it was easiest to re-type the whole thing - I had some pencilled notes. The various links , inc one to Recuva, were useful on this occasion. Last time I messed things up like this ( about 10 years ago, I think) I used something like Recuva, but i'd forgotten its existence.

Anyway, thanks everyone -i've re-written so problem now solved

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Tips for selling on eBay: auction tactics to get the best price for second-hand products