We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Old e-mail address

Sybil1

Likes # 0

I have a old aol address which was cancelled 5 years ago when I changed my isp every so often (about twice a year) it sends malware to the old address book which is a major pain. I have contacted aol they have not replied I am using new computors since the aol account. Help please Roger Blundell

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

A bit confused.. "it sends malware to the old address book"

Is the old aol address sending the mail, or is it addressed to the aol old addy?

Don't understand how you can still be collecting from an email address if you haven't set up an account for it since you got new computers?

Have you tried logging on to it's Webmail to see if it is still active (despite you thought it cancelled 5 years ago)

If you are receiving emails from it to your new email address, how does 'it' know your new email address?

Can you explain in more detail what is happening please.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Edit, should read: Have you tried logging on to it's Webmail to see if it is still active (despite you thought it cancelled 5 years ago) and deleting the Address Book although if it has already been harvested by Spammers it will only stop anything being sent from that account directly.

Spammers may be spoofing your old address in the From: line.

Like this post
Sybil1

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your interest, this has been driving me mad.

1: not sending to my new e-mail address, but to the old aol address book I, have not recived any to my new isp

2: I have been onto the aol web site and the e-mail address is still there why I do not know, hence, I have contacted aol to no avail.

3: The old aol address is sending the mail.

Hope this is more clear. Back in 1hour Thanks again.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

AOL keep your old master address active 'for life' I think. That's for the customers benefit, not theirs.

Try logging onto it and change the password in case the account is compromised somehow.

Or it maybe the address is just being spoofed, as mentioned.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Agree, Try logging onto it and change the password, have a look in the Sent folder (if you had it set to keep a copy they will be there) definitely need to delete Address Book entries

Is it possible for you to see one of the received emails - not to open it - but to read the Properties and message source in the email Headers, that will show the first mail server where it orginated from and might be a clue as to whether it is actually coming from your old account or if spammers are spoofing your old address in the from line.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Help with AOL Mail, McAfee, System Mechanic and AOL Computer Checkup

For Help with purchasing or cancelling the above products please call our AOL Premium Services line on 0808-234-9279 between 8AM to midnight GMT Monday-Sunday. (Calls to this number are free from a UK landline, calls from a mobile may be charged and will vary in cost, depending on your mobile phone provider), or alternatively by email.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite