We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unwanted F drive

frybluff

Likes # 0

When I was creating "bootable media", for any future recovery, as the facility seemed to be available, I thought, in addition to CD, it would be a good idea to also do it on an external drive (just in case of an optical drive failure). I thought I had done that correctly, but what the system has actually done is "create" an INTERNAL "F drive", and put it on that. I have two, seperate, internal drives C & D. I presume F has been created, as a partition, on one of those, but it's too tiny to obviously see which.

I feel I should be REMOVING this "F drive", but am a little dubious about just re-formatting it, for fear of affecting something else.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It might be a virtual drive? In Windows Explorer, rightclick on it and see if there is the option to UNmount or Mount.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

No mount or unmount options. The only "removal" options are "format" and "McAfee shred". To be honest, I don't know if the "effect" is any different. If I do a Hardware diagnostic, it actually lists it as Drive-Recovery (F:) Functioning normally. Fascinating, if a little worrying. I wouldn't mind so much, if I could work out WHERE it was. As I said, it's two small to really judge from the free space on C or D.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Have you looked at the contents of F: drive to see if it has any files in it?

I suppose you could disconnect D: drive and then boot up and look in 'Disk Management' to see if it is still listed, if so then it must be a partition on C: drive.

In any case if you don't want it, why not just delete the partition? You can do that if you rightclick on it in 'Disk Management'

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

If you can boot from USB, you can put the recovery iso on a Flash Stick/Card using, say, unetbootin so you have an alternate method.

This may be a good idea if you only have access to a single computer.

If you have another computer, you could worry about it if and when your optical drive fails.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing