We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't set my User Picture. Windows 7

Tycho

Likes # 0

When I try to put one of my photos in my user account, clicking on "Browse for more pictures does not open the expected explorer window so I can't choose one of my own photos.

Any thoughts?

Nick

Like this post
Tycho

Likes # 0

All user files are backed up.

Incidentally before we go on. I have just tried the repair disc. this is how it behaved:

1. "Windows is loading files"
  2. White bar tracks across the screen twice. Once quickly and then slowly.
  3. Eventually goes onto the blue welcome back ground (no "Welcome" though!)
  4. This screen hangs for about 2 mins then a box appears with:

Error: ox4001100200001012

It's looking a bit desperate!

Now to answer the questions:

Computer: Dell Inspiron N5010

Just a thought. I will be back in a couple of mins. thre are just one or two files that I need to back up. Out comes AJC Dirs.

Nick

Like this post
Tycho

Likes # 0

Right.

Done that.

What's next?

Nick

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Make a note of your Windows key, should be stuck on the case somewhere, and you can download and burn to disc your specific Win 7 iso so you can use to repair/re-install if all goes belly-up. Just as a precaution, LINK

Something has gone wrong when you've changed the paths of your various documents folders to the second partition I think. Not worth it as you can always create new folders and always browse to the new folders and set as default.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Backing-up on the same drive again? You need three backups. Drive, flash drive and optical discs, or three HDDs (external) or a variation. Backing-up on a partition of your local drive is a no-no in my humble opinion.

Like this post
Tycho

Likes # 0

All my backups are done onto an external HD and thence to the other Laptop.

Can't find the Windows key anywhere.

Sorry I need to get on with something else. I will get back to you tomorrow.

Nick

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Refurbished Dell - refurbished by who? No Windows key?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Woolwell, my thoughts also.

Tycho, usually on Dell it's tapping F8 on boot-up to get to the repair option. Restoring to factory settings is destructive and you lose everything installed as it is as newly bought.

Buying a refurb PC and no key on case isn't good. Before we jump to conclusions, however, look underneath the case.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Just realised it's a laptop. Key should be underneath (on bottom).

Like this post
Tycho

Likes # 0

Very frustrating!

I can see a panel on the bottom of the laptop where it appears that a label has been pealed off. Perhaps that's where the key was printed.

I haven't had a reply email from the suppliers after three days of enquiry. Nick

Phone call next.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

There should be a label on the bottom. I hope that you get a satisfactory answer from your phone call. Did they provide a warranty?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...