We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't set my User Picture. Windows 7

Tycho

Likes # 0

When I try to put one of my photos in my user account, clicking on "Browse for more pictures does not open the expected explorer window so I can't choose one of my own photos.

Any thoughts?

Nick

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Work your way through this user account picture

Like this post
Tycho

Likes # 0

Rdave13

Tried unticking apply, reticking ok, reboot.

Still no change.

Nick

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Post back when you've done all the steps in Woolwell's Link

Like this post
Tycho

Likes # 0

I have been through most of the procedures and am at the stage of trying to rename the default picture.

At this point I am stuck because I am not allowed to rename it. One Trused Installers can do that.

I am logged on as administrator and I have got as far as trying to alter the permissions to give me full control but the relevant tick boxes are greyed out.

I have not yet discovered a way around this.

Nick

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'm concerned that you have a corrupt account. If it is a full admin accou t you should be able to rename without any hassle.

Like this post
Tycho

Likes # 0

That doesn't sound good.

I have tried setting up a new account and find that I get the same problem with the new one.

I was once able to change the picture on my wife's account but not now. I am assuming that the problem is deeper than just the corruption of one account.

This computer is new to me (about a week old) it is not brand new but has been refurbished. It appeared to be absolutely clean but I am now wondering if something has been left awry.

The only major change that I have made is to set up a new HD partition for my user files. That make synchronising my computers and backup hard drive easier.

Thanks for your ongoing help.

Nick

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

"The only major change that I have made is to set up a new HD partition for my user files." What user files? Do you mean documents etc?

I see that you did a scannow but I think that there may be something not correct with your windows installation.

Like this post
Tycho

Likes # 0

woolwell<

User Files are the docs and pics from both users.

One extra issue today: I had the black and white screen at start up telling me that it had not shut down properly. It advised me to insert the installation CD but I could not do that because there was not one with the computer. Just an invisible partition which I don't know how to use.

I have used Windows to create a rescue disc will that work instead of the installation disc?

Thanks for all the mental effort you are putting into my problems.

Nick

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'm going to have to hand over to someone else. But I do wonder about the install.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

First thing to do is to back-up all your photos, documents, favorites or bookmarks etc. Sounds as something is corrupting Windows. Do that before you attempt anything else. Always back-up to an external USB drive. It's no good creating a partition on your local drive if the OS goes belly up and the only option is to restore to factory settings. Let us know what PC it is so we can find out how to access the restore partition. Dell. HP etc. Have you created restore DVDs?

If you don't have an external HDD then burn your music, photos,email backup, etc to DVDs for now just in case and get an external drive for backups.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia