We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't set my User Picture. Windows 7

Tycho

Likes # 0

When I try to put one of my photos in my user account, clicking on "Browse for more pictures does not open the expected explorer window so I can't choose one of my own photos.

Any thoughts?

Nick

Like this post
Tycho

Likes # 0

I don't want to presume on you good nature for more than is necessary. I am now is correspondence with the sellers and will let you know how I get on with their advice.

I will post again when there are any developments .

Thanks for your help.

Nick

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I may be wrong but,my feelings are that the suppliers would just take it back to factory image as that is easiest and doesn't require a product key to be input or activated.

You may find this useful Support.dell.com and I think you would benefit from the knowledge so you can assess your options of how to proceed.

If you could give us the Model of the laptop that would be useful. Also note that the key that would have been on a sticker is probably not the key that is in use on the laptop for install OEM Dell. That would be a Dell factory activated key and cannot be used for a normal install from an ordinary W7 DVD. For that you use the key on the sticker and it requires telephone activation.

Depending on which model of laptop you have, there is a way of making the hidden partition 'active' so that laptop will boot straight into it on startup.

Dell has designed two new backup and restore programs, see below for the details:

Dell Inspirons, Studios, and XPS Systems use DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 as the PC Restore/Factory Image Restore option as of April 22, 2009.

Click here if your computer is an Inspiron, Studio, or XPS

Dell OptiPlex, Latitude, Vostro, and Precisions use Dell Backup and Recovery Manager as the PC Restore/Factory Image Restore option as of May 26, 2009.

Click here if your computer is an OptiPlex, Latitude, Vostro, or Precision

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Just noticed you have said laptop is Dell Inspiron N5010, (I missed that first time when reading thread ;))

Like this post
Tycho

Likes # 0

They replied by email before I made the phone call. It seems that they are particularly worried about the lack of a key and have asked me to return it. They are sending a courier along to collect it.

I will let you know what happens.

Thanks for the help and advice so far.

Nick

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As you have backed up everything just remove all your personal stuff before it goes. They might reinstall the OS and place a new sticker on it with key.

Like this post
Tycho

Likes # 0

rdave13

Will do.

Nick

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites