We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Will Windows 7 reinstall from an upgrade disc?

Pineman100

Likes # 0

I bought my HP laptop over 3 years ago with Vista installed, and the promise of a free upgrade to Windows 7. When the upgrade came through it consisted of two discs - one called "HP Upgrade Manager" which I had to run first, then I ran the Windows 7 disc, marked "For use only as an upgrade to a qualifying HP Windows 7 Upgrade PC". This has a valid MS product key sticker with it.

My overloaded laptop is now grindingly slow and it's time to reformat the HDD and reinstall W7. Does anyone know whether I can do this exactly in the same way that I originally performed the upgrade - that is, run the Upgrade Manager and then the Windows 7 disc? Or will the fact that Vista no longer exists on the computer cause some problems?

By the way, do you know what the "Upgrade Manager" disc is? Might it be various W7 drivers?

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Before you do anything - have you backed up all your data?

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Not yet, Woody - at least not specifically for the reinstall. I backup regularly anyway, but will of course do so immediately before I reformat!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I would have though that if you reformat, you get rid of the original Vista files giving the 'upgrade' disc nothing to upgrade!

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

There are 3 well documented methods. The sevenforums link is a nice clear guide.

Even a brand new blank hard drive is no hindrance.

But it will be a clean install and you will have to re-install all your programs and restore backed up data.

If you don't want that, do an Inplace Upgrade (which used to be known as a Repair Install).

You don't boot from the DVD then. Boot to your normal W7 and double click setup and follow the guides instructions.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

If it's anything like XP to Vista and the free Vista upgrade disc I receieved then yes you can.

I too receieved two discs, an Acer upgrade DVD and Vista DVD (marked as Microsoft).

I did a clean install install without using the Acer upgrade DVD. This should work for W7 too. You install it twice, and the second install is counted as a valid upgrade.

W7 should be similar to this. When installed you can then use your other disc for any missing drivers. Just use device manager and the "have disc" method and your PC will find them.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes it will quite legally, ClickHere

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Many thanks to everyone for that useful stuff.

robinofloxley - you've suggested that I try an Inplace Upgrade. Please could you clarify that a bit? If I understand you correctly, I boot up from my W7 upgrade disc, then double-click "setup". Do I understand that I will then find an option to select "Inplace Upgrade" which will repair any Windows problems?

If so, I might just try that first, before resorting to a full reformat and reinstall.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

You boot the machine normally in W7. Then run setup on the DVD.

File and Printer Sharing and other bits and bobs may need resetting when done, but all your apps and data will be intact.

Instructions

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...