We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SatNav Problem

AndyFuller

Likes # 0

I have just bought a SatNav for the wife's car and when i try and connect it to the cigarete lighter socket it keeps blowing the 15amp fuse. i have tried a 20amp fuse and it blew that oo - any ideas what amp fuse i require?

Like this post
feb

Likes # 0

Try the satnav in another car, if the fuse blows in that one then you probably have a faulty satnav! If the fuse doesn't blow then you might have to replace the cigarette lighter.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I think it is normally a 15amp fuse so there may be something wrong with the socket - I would have it checked out by an Auto Electrician.

Like this post
AndyFuller

Likes # 0

I have tried it out in my car and it works ok in there so looks like the cigarette socket is u/s. thanks for your help

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I am sure I used to have the same problem years ago and it was the different make of car or van and the way that they were wired up.

Not sure if it was because some have a negative earth or something like that.

Changing the wires around may help but I would wait and see if anyone else can confirm what I said is correct or not.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

15A is 'large' anyway (180 Watts at 12V), so it was never a question of rating.

The SatNav car charger may have its own fuse as well (say, 3A max).

Never a good idea to replace with larger ratings.

It's possible the centre contact may not be +12V, but I thought they were standardised decades ago.

The bits are available if you want to DIY and fancy working out how to remove your dashboard and get at the damn things. Don't if not sure though. Excess current will burn a loom a be expensive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more