We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Quiet HTPC Build Help Advise Required

genehogs344

Likes # 0

Hello,

I am wanting to build my own HTPC that will sit next to the TV in the living room. I want it to be able to have the following: Quiet, Be able to stream full HD content from the internet to the TV, Internet Streaming of Music, Video (access to youTube BBC iPlayer etc, Remote Controlled by Bluetooth keyboard and or mobile android device, such as a tablet or phone, Small about the size of a standard blue ray player, Internal Storage to hold 2 or more TB, Play DVD\Blue Ray, Access Digital TV Signals I do not need gaming capability, Affordable, around £500

I have spec'ed out the following: CPU : AMD A6-3500 MoBo : ASRock A75-M ITX Case : SilverStone ML03B Int.HDD : Spinpoint F4EG 2TB 3.5", 3.0 Gbps, 32 MB, 5400 rpm RAM : Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 2x2GB CL9 SSD : Crucial M4 64GB Power : PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 400W Modular Cooling : Included in above Blu Ray : ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM OS : OpenElec

The total price, is around £430

How does that sound? Am I missing something, is something too much\little. I want to be able to use DLNA and hook up to a surround sound system and use my phone to select the media.

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks, GH

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

not overly keen on the case,you can get plenty of air flow through the case, just not quietly, which can mean it The PC is noticeable. You might want to add a TV card have, a look at Hauppauge which is a good brand.

Modular is certainly the way to go but I doubt you need that much power. Crucial M4 is a very decent SSD but as the prices are getting very affordable I would perhaps up the size to 128GB, I much prefer it in my HTPC.

Like this post
genehogs344

Likes # 0

Thank you for your input Chronus.

I had considered other case alternatives such as Antec NSK2480B with 380W PSU or FC8 Fanless Chassis, with the fanless one I wouldn't need the PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 400W - but thats double the price for the case.

For TV, I have a old Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1100 MCE HVR, maybe I could use that?

I will use the SSD for the OS, so I thought 64GB would be sufficient? 128GB would seem an excess that wouldn't get used?

For Power I could drop to 250W with the FSP 250W ATX PSU FSP250-60PNA (PF)?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback