We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

recording guitar via mic onto pc issue

sleepy03

Likes # 0

Hi all. I wish to record from my guitar amplifier (tube amp) into my pc and after some research bought a Behringer C-1u mic which has a USB on it. I was under the impression by plugging this into the pc and using audacity to record I could get a decent sound. But im having some problems. IT is recording (sort of) but the sound is quiet, fizzy and speeded up. Now im sure its some settings maybe on audacity but having spent numerous hours trying I cant find out how to do this properly, google search gives me plenty of informatino on how to et the mic up but not a smple tutorial on how to acheive this. My PC recognises the mic and has it listed under devices. Im hoping someone here has some experience and can best advise me. Thx

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

You'll never get a good sound this way. Get proper software for it or get something like guitar rig sessions or something like it.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Here you are: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NATIVE-INSTRUMENTS-GUITAR-RIG-SESSION-AUDIO-INTERFACE-/190678652120?pt=UKMusicalInstrumentsComputerRecordingSoftwareSM&hash=item2c655554d8

Have a look.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Did you not get software with the mike anyway what are you setting Audacity at ie you have selected the Mic in preferences and most of the half decent mics are mono try setting audacity to that . Not forgetting the mic will have its own Input level control accessed via

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

or a basic line 6 pod would do

Like this post
sleepy03

Likes # 0

hi all, thanks for the replies. I really dont wish to spend more money on this as all i wish to do is simply record a guitar so im not looking for studio quality just decent quality. At the moment the hissing/buzzing is loud and the sound is inaudible. I also dont understand why it would be speeded up on playback. I do have the mic set for inputand mono so its recognised, i thought this would be as easy as pressing record and stopping when done. Infact the audacity software come with the mic so its not a compatibility issue. I tried a pod previously and yes it does speak great to the pc but the problem is i find digital modellers awful regarding the tone of the instrument, very thin generic sounding whereas a guitar (analog) has a very rich thick sound played through a tube amp hence why i wish to record with the mic. I'll try over the weekend im sure there's settings i neeed to find to make it work but im a loss to what right now. thx again

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

The alternative is through a pa system. does not have to an expensive set up. this way you can have the full depth of the tube amp.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK