We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot find external hard drive

hefs

Likes # 0

Hi I have just bought a buffalo mini station to transfer files from my pc as run out of space. I have connected to my pc via usb but cannot see it under My computer and have also tried disk management. Is there anything else I need to do ad I assumed id just plug it in and then be able to drag and drop files to release space? I am not great with pcs so can anyone please advise? Thanks

Like this post
hefs

Likes # 0

Just trying the burning option to free up some space. Yes think the warning was there but am a bit click happy. Totally my own fault !! C drive has 69.82 capacity so got 2% free

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Turn off hibernation to get a tad more working space for further clearances.

Start/Run. Type powercfg -h off

Like this post
hefs

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the advice. I have now deleted all temp files as well as temp internet files. Would there be more under other users and would I need to log in as them to clear? Still haven't been able to carry out the dusk clean up as just hanging on 3 green bars Tried the buffalo again and still no luck. Now got 2.58GB free

Like this post
hefs

Likes # 0

Robin - Is that easy enough to turn back on again? Is it as simple as Start/Run. Type powercfg -h on ???

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Can you turn off and unplug any USB devices you have (e.g. printer,scanner, other external drives etc.

Just a thought- If your machine uses the old style USB -1, the buffalo drive may not be compatable with it. All modern machines use USB 2 or 3.

To test- plug in a thumb drive and if you get the message ' This device can run faster' , you have a USB 1 else you have USB 2

Plug in the Buffalo drive and re-start machine, if it finds it, it means your power supply (PSU) is not powerful enough to run it as well as the rest of your devices and you will need a more powerful PSU. Suggest about 600w.

Replacing the CPU is straight forward, however disconnecting and reconnecting all the cables requires someone who is confident of working with an electronic board.

Unless you are sure of what you are doing, I would suggest getting advice / help.

Terry

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I ha a Dell 5150 with a Buffalo 500GB external drive and it functioned OK without problem,but - it was an independently powered drive. Not sure if that really adds anything but just thrown it in to say that the Dell 5150 is not necessarily the problem in itself.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Just realised that when I made my comment I had not realised that there were three pages of postings already, I only read the first page!!!

Like this post
hefs

Likes # 0

Terry, I've tried removing all other usb connections and still no good. I did notice that those that worked only did a double ding whereas the buffalo 'dinged' 3 times when connecting. Apologies but i don't know what a thumb drive is??

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

According to the manual, all the dell 5150 usb ports back and front are usb2.

There is no need to mess with the PSU (power supply unit) or the CPU (central processing unit)

A Thumb drive is a usb Flash Drive, USB Memory Drive, USB Pen Flash Drive, they are all the same thing. Google for a pic of one.

I've had my coffee and am re-reading posts to see if I can add anything to do to what's already been posted. (Thinking cap on) If you can burn some of your Files and folders to DVD that would be good and should free up 4GB per DVD. But make sure the contents of DVD have burned properly and you can read/open/display them on your pc from the dvd before you delete files from the pc's hdd.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Robin - Is that easy enough to turn back on again? Is it as simple as Start/Run. Type powercfg -h on ???

Yes.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?