We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot find external hard drive

hefs

Likes # 0

Hi I have just bought a buffalo mini station to transfer files from my pc as run out of space. I have connected to my pc via usb but cannot see it under My computer and have also tried disk management. Is there anything else I need to do ad I assumed id just plug it in and then be able to drag and drop files to release space? I am not great with pcs so can anyone please advise? Thanks

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Sometimes the Motherboard BIOS battery may be the cause.

Since these are cheap (see supermarket/local shop) and 6 yrs is reasonably old, it's a good idea to replace anyway (Battery CR2032).

Your manual is here. See pages 100 and 67. Download may take a minute or two.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Agree it's battery could do with new one. I have a Dimension 9150 that's also 6 years old :)

Dell 5150 manual you'll like this, it has good diagrams etc (it refers to the motherboard as a system board)

As well as looking at the service manual to find out more about the inside of your pc - pc 6 years old, have you ever had the side off and cleaned out the dust and fluff? If not then it could do with a dust with a paintbrush and vacuum cleaner held near - not touching anything - to suck up the dust you disturb.

However I think making some space on the hdd is the priority.

Like this post
hefs

Likes # 0

Hi Lotvic, Just tried again and still no luck. Unable to get out to buy a new battery at the moment as got a broken foot !!! Have taken off the side of the pc and given it a clean ou though Any other ideas on how to release some space as currently got so little that can't even upgrade my AVG Thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I presume you have XP.

Rightclick on 'My Computer' and choose 'Properties' > SystemRestore, highlight (C:) and click on 'Settings' > adjust the 12% to a lower %.

Remember that is a %age of your drive. You will be able to see/work out how many MB it will free up.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You can uninstall any program's you no longer need, use Disk clean up. Reduce the amount system space system restore uses or turn it off altogether,you can always turn it back on and create a new system restor point. That will almost certainly free up a good few gigabytes of space. Use a duplicate finder and remove any duplicates found,again this can free up a lot of space.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Chronus I don't think hefs has enough room yet to download any programs.

hefs

Next: Show Hidden Files and Folders (so that you can do the next bit easily) Open Windows Explorer (click on My documents to show the files) At the top click on 'Tools' and choose 'Folder Options', 'View' tab, and put a green dot in 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' click on Apply and OK

Next you clear the Temp folders. Start > Run > type or copy and paste: %temp% click on OK > place your mouse cursor on a blank part of the righthand pane and on the keyboard hold down Ctrl and press a this will select (highlight all of the files) now press Delete

Once they've gone, on the Top toolbar click on 'Folders' so you can see the tree structure in the lefthand pane. Just below the folder 'Temp' there is the folder 'Temporary Internet Files'. Click on it so it's contents are displayed in the righthand pane. Do the Ctrl + a again and delete.

Go back to the Desktop.

Now empty your Recycle Bin

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Sorry Chronus, it didn't click, DiskCleanup is not a download (doh=me) I'll go have a coffee break :)

Like this post
hefs

Likes # 0

Just trying disk clean up now as system restore was already switched off !!! Hopefully this will do the trick. I also had some old stuff in recycle which I've also just deleted. The disk clean up seems to be taking an age is this normal or just due to my lack of space again? I've just checked under disk management and I currently have 1.29GB of free space in my c drive

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Burn a CD/DVD of data and then delete from drive?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Yes it can take a while. As for only having 1.29GB free you must have been getting low disk space warnings for ages. How big is your C drive anyway? What operating system are you using?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do