We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Getting a laptop, partition/security advice please

eaglesrjh

Likes # 0

Ok I'm getting a new laptop delivered today and want to do the right things from the start.

Info

The laptop has Windows 7 home premium 64 bit and a 750gb hard drive.

I want to do as much as possible with already installed software or free software.

I dont currently have any external drives or usb drives, i do have a load of blank dvds.

My thoughts

I'm thinking creating a partition for the windows operating system and a seperate one for data, does that make sense. If so how do i do it?

what should be on the system partition? Microsoft office for example? other program files?

Other partition would be for files, games, pictures, music etc. or is it worth multiple partitions?

Is it worth creating another partition for an image of the system partition on can that go on the data partiton. How do you create this image? how often should you do it and should it be saved to a dvd too?

Is there any easy way of doing incremental backups of part of the data drive? we would be gutted to lose our pictures, not so worried by files or music.

Anything else you would recommend doing. basically want to start right and keep it going from there.

all advice greatly appreciated.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

OS Nontek and I agree re imaging the OS, the only slight difference is that I find id a lot quicker to frequently make mirror copies of data. Another tool as an alternative to Freefilesynch is Synchtoy, also free.

Like this post
eaglesrjh

Likes # 0

thanks for the advice so far.

thus far i have created a seperate partition G: for data

I have also created an image of the system files using the inbuilt windows 7 backup centre this is now on G:

now obviously this is on the same physical hard disk.

Is it possible or wise to create this image on DVD's or is it going to need multiple dvds?

or am i going to have to accept i need to shell out some more money any buy some kind of usb drive??

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

As I see it, a backup on the same physical drive is pretty pointless - what happens if drive goes belly-up?

A separate hard drive for backups is essential.

DVDs would work, but too many would be needed and if one goes kaput, then the remainder are rendered useless too. Also not as secure as hard drives which cannot get scratched etc.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Once again I agree with Nontech. These USB drives are quite reasonable if you consider the potential cost of data recovery by pro's. I would get a 1 TB one and , again, partition it, one for OS/ Programme images, the other for data back up.I find the W7 back up tedious and prefer ATI (at a cost!)

Like this post
eaglesrjh

Likes # 0

So assuming I create an image to an external drive do I still need to create a separate recovery disc? (came without a cd)

What do I now install where?

Office to c: but files to g:

How about itunes? Football manager? Where would you install them?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

When you first start Acronis True Image you will have the opportunity to create a Recovery Disc - this would then be used to start a 'broken' PC so that the Backup could be Restored simply following on-screen prompts.

Of course if you buy the Boxed ATI that would come with a ready made Disc which would be used as above.

ATI should be installed to C:

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

As I said, I have only the one Partition (apart from the pre-installed one with the OS on it). Everything I install is on C: Win7 creates its own Folders for Docs/Downloads etc.

ATI Backs up EVERYTHING on C:, so no worries about losing any of your personal Settings in any Programs, all is done automatically - with a few mouse-clicks to get it going.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED