We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wireless network logon

tesfred

Likes # 0

can anyone help me please? I have just obtained a dell c400 netbook, it finds my network connection but I cannot find where to enter the ssid & password. Could someone explain to me how I access this so that I can logon. Sincere thanks. tesfred1944

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

In the "notification area" (beside the clock), there is a network icon. Click that to display the "Available Wireless Networks", select the one whose SSID matches that of your router and click it to connect. You will be prompted to enter the WEP/WPA/WPA2 encryption key (password) and should then be connected.

Like this post
tesfred

Likes # 0

I have tried that, it does not give me that option, it says "validating network" cannot find certificate.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If you're using XP, try this:

Go into the Network Connections folder ("Start > Run", type ncpa.cpl and click OK). Right click the Wireless Network Connection and select Properties. In the Properties sheet that opens, select the Wireless Networks tab, highlight your network (SSID) in the Preferred networks section and click the Properties button. In the new Properties sheet that opens, select the Authentication tab and untick the box for "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network".

Like this post
tesfred

Likes # 0

Many thanks, I think that is the solution I am looking for. I cannot do it right now as I have to go to work, but I will try it tonight and let you know how I got on, once again, my sincere thanks for your very valuable help. tesfred1944

Like this post
tesfred

Likes # 0

I followed all the instructions but when it came up to login, I entered the SSID that the Virginmedia technician gave me along with the passphrase, I then got the message Wireless Configuration " the network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on your network configuration, this can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters, or, 10 or 26 hexadecimalcharacters" This as got me, I do not have a clue what it means, hope that you can help me, my thanks again, tesfred1944.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

It means that your wireless network is using WEP encryption and a WEP key requires a very specific number of characters. Confusingly, 64-bit WEP is sometimes called 40-bit and 128-bit WEP is called 104-bit.

However, as your technician is using the less common 40-bit and 104-bit references, I will stick with those descriptions.

For 40-bit WEP encryption, you need to use a key of either 5 ASCII characters or 10 Hexadecimal characters.

For 104-bit WEP encryption, you need to use a key of either 13 ASCII characters or 26 Hexadecimal characters.

ASCII characters are basically all of the letters, numbers and symbols on the keyboard.

Hexadecimal characters are the numbers "0" to "9" and letters "a" to "f" only - a total of 16 available characters.

However, some wireless networking hardware doesn't like an ASCII key, so it is generally better to use a hexadecimal key. This site will generate both ASCII and Hexadecimal keys for you although it describes them as 64-bit and 128-bit keys.

To be honest, it is recommended that these days you should, if possible, use the more secure WPA or WPA2 encryption which uses a much less complicated encryption key. A key of between 8 and 63 ASCII characters, which can include spaces, is used.

Are you using a router provided by Virginmedia?

Like this post
tesfred

Likes # 0

Yes I am using a brand new router provided by Virginmedia.Many thanks for your help, I am printing yout advice out so that I can refer to it as I go along.I am sorry to be bothering you like this but there are a lot of things about computing that I do not understand. I do try to find resolutions myself, I have noticed that browsing through the various optrions that my router is set to wep, should I change that to wap or not, if I cannot resolve this issue then I am prepared to call out the technician again, but I do not like to be beaten, I much prefer to resolve issues myself, with help from such good people as your good self, my sincere thanks again. Terry.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I cannot help you with your problem but I would like to say well done on your attitude of trying to find a resolution yourself. This,in the long run, will increase your knowledge of the dark arts (computing LOL) and you will find that problems generally become simpler to resolve and you will go on to help others.

Never apologise,for what might seem a daft question,as they do not exist,we all had to start somewhere. I expect Mgmcc will have you sorted in no time. Sometimes phoning an engineer is not the best way forward as they can forget that they are dealing with ordinary mortals and can be a tad technical in their language.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do