We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My PC is so slow! Please help?

bigste93

Likes # 0

My PC is so slow on start-up and while in general use but people have told me that I might not need to update the hardware. And there are somethings that I can do without spending loads on new kit! 

Has anyone got any ideas?

Please? Thanks a bunch!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to the Helproom from Speakers Corner.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Check to see what is starting up by using msconfig using this link enter link description here

Remove anything that is not needed at startup. Go to start - run - msconfig - top right hand tab startup. Take the tick out of everything other than firewall and virus checker etc. Things like office and various sound progs hog memory. After rebooting put tick in left hand box to not be told each time that you have altered the startup.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Then download and run CCLEANER (Free Version) to clean out all the "rubbish/temp files etc) which accumulate over a period of time. Safe to use - just click on Analyze then Run Cleaner on the default settings and you should notice a considerable difference.enter link description here

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You haven't give any details of your system other than you have XP, so I suggest to copy and paste the following into google or other search engine:

xp slow site:pcadvisor.co.uk/forums

this will bring up all the threads on this forum with advice to try to speed up a slow pc.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad