We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Another Which Laptop Question

HIG6241

Likes # 0

Hi all. I would really appreciate some advice with regards to the two laptops linked below. I can only buy from Currys/PC World as I have vouchers. I will be using the computer to edit photos, some home movie editing (I am not planning on making the next Pixar movie or anything) and some light gaming. The Sims, Total War that sort of thing. Although it would be nice if I could play things like Skyrim on it.

Which of these represents best value/future proofing. I have had my old Toshiba Satellite for 5 years until it finally gave up on me.

Thanks!

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-series-3-np300e5a-15-6-laptop-silver-13212978-pdt.html

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-g6-1331ea-15-6-laptop-silver-11884802-pdt.html

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

First thing to get out of the way, is that the terms "laptop" and "future proof" are mutually exclusive. The market is moving too fast. I bought a "top of the line", four months ago, and, already, it feels a bit dated.

Laptops with high performance "Ivybridge" processors, are coming on the market. Windows 8 will soon be with us.

The Samsung is a safe enough choice. I would say that, whilst it does have a "graphics card", it's fairly entry level. It will play some games, reasonably, but its capabilities are limited. I would also say that, for the price, I would expect a bit better webcam.

The HP, probably, is better value for money. Whilst I wouldn't claim any great knowledge of AMD, the A8 is reasonably good, and graphics look promising. It's still got a rubbish webcam, but you wouldn't expect much better, at the price. My slight concern would be over reliability/ after sales service, although I may be being harsh. You should check out some user reviews.

Before you decide, I would suggest checking out Asus and Acer. I would have thought they could provide some interesting options (even Toshiba, again. Their game capable options are quite good, if a little pricey).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers