We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista laptop slow, can't think of what else to do. Please help?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, My friend has a very slow vista laptop that im trying to help him with. It has 2gb of Ram, i have run SuperAntispyware and Malwayebytes scans that have found a few nasties but it is still verrrrry slow. I put Avast on there and updated it put when i run a scan it hangs on 1%.

I have the task manager up at the moment with nothing (seemingly) running and the CPU usage is 1% but the memory is permanently on around 770mb.

Please can someone help me out here?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Backup your data and do a factory reset, then use the rest of the day to update. Sometimes faster than farting around. It's been two days already since you posted. You would have been done and dusted by now.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, That is not practical im afraid, there are just too many paid-for programs. There must be other scans available?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

That's a pity but can't they be reinstalled? Someone posted an iso download for Vista with SP2, but I can't find it now, and backing up your drivers with something like DoubleDriver. It would cut the reinstallation time dramatically.

Thinking along the lines of AV, did you remove the other antivirus program completely before installing Avast? Might be a conflict there.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

It may not even be malware but you could try Emsisoft Emergency Kit or Kaspersky Rescue CD.

Does safe mode run normally?

Did you check PageFile settings?

You may be able to do a Vista Repair Install from the OEM disc. I wouldn't attempt it while computer is slow. Wait till it settles.

That will leave the apps and data intact.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Go to Here for the guide and also to download the Silent Runners.vbs

That'll make a text list of what you've got running from startup. (I've been using it for ages, it's quite safe)

If you are curious and want to read the .vbs in notepad, just rightclick and choose 'Edit' or you can make a copy and change the .vbs to .txt and then the .txt will open in notepad.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?