We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista laptop slow, can't think of what else to do. Please help?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, My friend has a very slow vista laptop that im trying to help him with. It has 2gb of Ram, i have run SuperAntispyware and Malwayebytes scans that have found a few nasties but it is still verrrrry slow. I put Avast on there and updated it put when i run a scan it hangs on 1%.

I have the task manager up at the moment with nothing (seemingly) running and the CPU usage is 1% but the memory is permanently on around 770mb.

Please can someone help me out here?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hello, anyone?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Download and Run CCleaner (Free Version) from here enter link description here

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Have you run the disk defragmenter utility?

Have you looked at the startup list?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"memory is permanently on around 770mb"

Can you explain what you mean by that? Where did it show that?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, i had used Ccleaner and Defraggler. As mentioned in my original post, the task manager gave me the info regarding the memory usage. Please can anyone else help?

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

Try sfc/scannow and remove Avast, Use Microsoft security essentials. Also a little history on the problem, like when it slowed down. Was it after installing an update or a program

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Make sure you only have ONE anti virus - if more, they'll conflict and slow everything down. More than one antimalware is OK.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, I now only have Microsoft Security Essentials, i have updated it and run a scan and it has not found anything. Below is the result of running sfc /scannow: http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/craigten/sfcscannow.jpg

After about 30 minutes of restarting, the laptop runs seemingly fine, however during the original 30 minutes it was very unresponsive.

Please can anyone give me any further help?

Can i use a OEM Vista disc to repair the corrupt files?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Some good tips here. Just make a note of any changes you make in case you need to restore some services.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thanks but i think it's more than just 'speeding up' Vista. There seems to be something causing this and id like any ideas what?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014