We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

better detailed, which laptop? question...

millerworld

Likes # 0

Hi, can anyone please help me decide? there doesnt seem to be much difference in these two?????

http://www.ebuyer.com/294485-asus-x54c-laptop-x54c-sx127v?utmsource=google&utmmedium=products&gclid=CMiL6trFhLACFUxlfAodQnx_nw

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/advent-monza-n2-15-6-laptop-blue-12086464-pdt.html?srcid=867&cmpid=comp~Google~~12086464&istCompanyId=9a35962d-802d-4e67-9721-0a3328ca1f02&istItemId=rqxmtarx&istBid=t

id be very grateful for any comments

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Are broadly similar. The Advent has additional USB port, which can be useful, plus a better webcam. Confess I have no experience of Advent, as a company, so you would be well advised to check out some user reviews, to ensure there are no "common issues". Both would appear perfectly useable, for routine "stuff", provided you are not looking for gaming capability, or something like video editing.

Like this post
millerworld

Likes # 0

thanks frybluff, yeah i thought that too. the asus has an itel proc. the advent has an AMD? i know that is a cheaper processor but is it any less effective? feel like flipping a coin !!

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Don't profess to have any great knowledge of AMD. For general use, Intel are regarded as "better", but it depends how you define better. Also, the Intel in the Asus is a fairly basic Intel. The AMD in the Advent is, at least, a step up from basic, so this, particular AMD, may be better than that particular Intel (if that makes sense).

If you can give some idea of any specific tasks you want the laptop to be good at, someone, with more knowledge of AMD's, could give more specific advice. As I mentioned, you should check out some user reviews, on the Advent, to make sure there are no issues (I have no reason to suppose there are). Asus, generally, have a fairly good rep.

Like this post
millerworld

Likes # 0

i looked up as many reviews as i could and the deciding factor was the battery life!! i decided to go with the asus, simply because it was the one that had the least bad reviews. after all, what am i expecting for £330 ????? thanks for your comments guys, i will let you know tonight what the piece is like, it is due to arrive this morning!!

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase. At least you are going in with your eyes open. Too many people buy a £300 laptop, and THEN wonder why it won't do all the clever things a £1000 laptop will.

Of course, with any particular laptop, there may be a problem, if you happen to be unlucky, but there's always plenty of advice, available, on this site, and, as far as I am aware, ebuyer are fairly good, anyway.

Good luck, let us know how you get on (that helps people, in future, decide.)

Like this post
X7-250

Likes # 0

looking at the pics at ebuyer one of the USB ports on the Asus may be USB3.0, although it isn't mentioned in the description.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...