We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Address Book Hijacked And Spam Sent

D@z©

Likes # 0

My Hotmail email address seems to have been hijacked and emails are being sent to everyone in there with links to sites along the lines of 'Earn $4000 in a day from home' etc. How can I stop this as a lot of people are getting quite annoyed with it, especially if they open it by mistake and it infects there computer.

I started with deleting all address' in my address book but it is still happening. Any ideas please? Thanks.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I would have thought the most important and first thing to do is change your email account password as the spammers obviously still have access.

Like this post
D@z©

Likes # 0

I have done that, but surley there must be more to it than that?

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

It happened to me a couple of months back but, so far as I know, there was only one mass-mailing from my account.

I changed my password, and did full scans with several anti-virus programs -- Avast, Sophos Anti-Rootkit, Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and SuperAntiSpyware. I can't remember what they identified, but the problem hasn't recurred.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

... I've just remembered, the first clue I got was when I received an "email undeliverable" message when I hadn't sent any emails. Obviously one or more of my address book entries was out of date, but it might be worth putting in a dummy entry so that you'll get an "undeliverable" message if your address book is taken over again.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I have done that, but surley there must be more to it

I don't think so, it is all about access,if they do not have access then they cannot send spam mail in your name,or rather your email address. It certainly happened to me sometime back and a change of password sorted it. Now it might be that your address book has been harvested and your contacts will still receive spam but it won't be from your address.

Like this post
D@z©

Likes # 0

Thanks stlucia2. Since I had the first couple I have formatted my PC and deleted all address' from my book. I am running Microsoft Security Essentials and never have viruses or malware or anything like that before, yet another was sent yesterday. I know they are being sent because my works email was in my address book and I am getting them there, god only knows what will happen if it ends up infecting the whole company!!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Not sure if MSE checks your e-mails if not find one that does.

Do you only have MSE and no other Security programs.

If so maybe now would be a good time to run a few others.

Like this post
D@z©

Likes # 0

So even if I was to delete the account and open a new one they could still receive emails?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

They may not be coming from your account but appear to be with the spammers have spoofed the address. What does seem to have happened is that they hacked into your hotmail account and have harvested the address book. I note you have changed the password which is the first step. Regrettably you are not alone in having your hotmail account hacked. This happened to my son and I would not use hotmail for this reason. Google mail does not appear to suffer from the same sort of hacking.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Was your hotmail address book only on your pc? or is it also on the hotmail Webmail server? Is your email pop3 or IMAP?

Which email client do you use on your pc?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow