We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Anyway to get password?

edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Hello

I know Ime a dummy.

I have forgotten/deleted my password for setting up an email account in Internet Express.

When I open up the properties of my email account, and go to "servers" the password just appears as a row of dots, I don't suppose theres a way of finding out what those dots represent.

I use Roboform and there's a way of getting around the dot problem in that software.

Thanks for any help.

Richard

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I take it you mean Outlook Express. This may help - enter link description here

OR - What you'll have to do is to call up your Internet Service Provider. Once you provide them with your phone number, or account number, and they verify that you are the primary account holder by asking a couple of security questions, they'll be able to tell you what the username (e-mail address typically) and password associated with that account is. This is the info that Outlook Express needs in order to successfully send/receive e-mails for you.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

northumbria61, surely that's the info for your Broadband connection to your ISP and not the password for your email? AFAIK you can't ring up ISP and get the password for your email. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

edenworkshops, You could use the SIW - Eureka! function. Shows passwords behind a row of "**" asterisks (bullets). or look in the passwords folder after running SIW. SIW is free for home user. If you can track down an older version it has less restrictions than the current free version.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Is the problem that you currently cannot send or receive e-mails? It can appear that the wrong password is being used but in fact it is the right one and the e-mail server is not responding.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Outlook Express keeps prompting for your password http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xpoepasswords.htm

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

try here as this site does not like addresses with underscores

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

I am trying a password recovery software...

Let you know.

Richard

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

lotvic - as I understand it - Password: Your password is provided to you by your email account provider (in most cases your Internet Service Provider). If you don't remember your password, you can either look for it in the information you received from your Internet Service Provider or contact your Internet Service Provider's Technical Support Team to find out what your password is.

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

All done thank you.

Got a password recovery tool..a free one.

Richard

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Brilliant - great news !

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

lotvic is correct - the username and password provided by your ISP is for your broadband connection. The email password is of your own invention and can not be accessed from the provider.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...