We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Anyway to get password?

edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Hello

I know Ime a dummy.

I have forgotten/deleted my password for setting up an email account in Internet Express.

When I open up the properties of my email account, and go to "servers" the password just appears as a row of dots, I don't suppose theres a way of finding out what those dots represent.

I use Roboform and there's a way of getting around the dot problem in that software.

Thanks for any help.

Richard

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Hm - I'm fairly sure that I'm using the same password for broadband and email. I think that this varies with ISPs.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I have 7 AOL e-mail accounts all with different passwords and different again from my Router AOL BB logon.

They can change only that one and I would have to go into my router settings and update manually.

Accessing my router settings is admin and another password (of my choosing)

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Woolwell - Hm - I'm fairly sure that I'm using the same password for broadband and email

Well it is for me so as you say it must vary with ISP. It is the only way I can connect to my email account.

Like this post
Confab

Likes # 0

Of course your ISP will know or at least log your e-mail password otherwise how would they be able to verify if the password was correct if you decided to use an alternative e-mail client?

Quite recently I had been receiving a lot of “bounced back” e-mails because my e-mail address had been spoofed. The first time it happened it was my secondary e-mail address that was used and my ISP just closed the account – very annoying. They initially denied doing so but as I was able to prove that the account was once open and had been used they couldn’t really deny it any longer. The second time it happened my ISP changed my e-mail password so that I was unable to send or receive any e-mails. I had to go through the “forgotten password” saga and have it re-set. Once I entered the new e-mail password into Outlook Express then all was working again. My ISP denied changing the password but then one of the operators admitted that they can and sometimes do do this as a security measure.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It doesn't sound very secure to me if the Broadband password on your router is the same password for your email. Anyone can look at your router and see the password.

I wonder if there's a mix-up between BB password, Account password and email?

The above 3 of mine with ISP are all different.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...