We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

virginmedia supper hub

trainman 2

Likes # 0

Hi can anyone let me know if it is possible to connect a router to to the virgin supper hub combined modem router. my virgen cable comes into the house at a remote corner, i would like to connect by Ethernet cable to a router in the centre of the house if possible. Many thanks trainman2

Like this post
PSF

Likes # 0

Rather than using a router you can use a network switch instead. you can get different sizes depending on how may pc's you want to connect to it. There is an example one here http://www.ebuyer.com/52760-netgear-prosafe-gs105-5-port-gigabit-switch-gs105 they are straight forward to install, just connect the switch to your Virgin hub in one of the 4 output sockets and then connect your pc's to the switch. They should all work then, if not restart hub switch and pc's and they will then be assigned an IP address.

The first example is a GB switch, if your pc's are all 10/100/1000 compatable and you are using the 100MB Virgin service you will get full speed on all pc's. If not you can get a cheaper switch which is 10/100 http://www.ebuyer.com/8894-netgear-prosafe-fs105-5-port-10-100-compact-switch-fs105

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Some users have indeed connected a second wireless router to the Virgin Super Hub, generally because they have found their existing router to have a better wireless performance than the Super Hub. (I'll find out for myself when/if my Super Hub is delivered on Thursday!)

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

My advise would be contact Virgin for a longer lead from the socket to where you wish to place your hub hence no need for Ethernet cable.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

Enable modem mode in the hub preferances the hub then just functions as a cable modem.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEWARTICLE&ARTICLEID=412750&CURRENTCMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITIONID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VMCUSTOMERTYPE=Cable

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

As the ULR don't work this is copied from the above failed page:

Enabling modem mode allows you to connect your own wireless router to the Super Hub, effectively turning the Super Hub into a stand alone DOCSIS3 cable modem.

To enable modem mode on your Super Hub

1. Make sure you are connected (wired or wirelessly) to your Super Hub.

2. Open your Internet browser.

3. Log in to your Super Hub's administration interface by entering 192.168.0.1 into the address bar (not the search bar) of your Internet browser. If you have changed the IP address of your Super Hub, you will need to enter its new address into the address bar instead.

4. Enter your Super Hub's administration username and password. The default details are printed on the back of their Super Hub. If you have changed the default username or password, enter those details instead.

5. Once you've logged in, click Advanced Settings at the bottom of the screen to access the Super Hub's Advanced Settings page.

6. Click Modem Mode on the left-hand menu. If you don't see the Modem Mode option, reboot your Super Hub by disconnecting and reconnecting its power supply, and the new firmware will be downloaded.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

Or search for 'modem mode virgin superhub' in Google or Yahoo.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite