We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Outlook 2003 - can't send email

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

W7 PC with MSE - been using Outlook for years with no problem. Suddenly last Thursday, within seconds of clicking 'send', get a could not be delivered message with code ' 503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA'.

Google only says that this is caused by the server needing authentication. ISP (who's spent ages trying to sort this) says their servers do not. He's sent a message from his PC using my log-in details with no problem. He's checked the settings on my PC and says they're fine. I've tried a System restore to before the problem started (in case it was an update that triggered this), and reset the router to factory settings. I've tried setting up Outlook express and Thunderbird on the spare PC with no success (same message). Ttearing my hair out - anyone any thoughts, please?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Woolwell, yes, it seems the infected email I received was sent to all the contacts in the senders address book, then tried to do the same thing from mine, but the software blocked it. As far as the IP address is concerned, this is their message to me

"Here is their report:

IP Address 83.217.167.162 is listed in the CBL. It appears to be infected with a spam sending trojan or proxy.

It was last detected at 2012-05-10 16:00 GMT (+/- 30 minutes), approximately 6 days, 19 hours, 30 minutes ago.

This IP is infected (or NATting for a computer that is infected) with a spam-sending infection. In other words, it's participating in a botnet. If you simply remove the listing without ensuring that the infection is removed (or the NAT secured), it will probably relist again.

I have changed your IP address now, however etc etc"

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You would have thought that they could have told you that when you first contacted them,

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014