We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

graphics cards

alanstav1970

Likes # 0

will any graphics card fit into any desktop?i am looking to upgrade my nividea 8600gs. if so any suggestions with a limited budget(purely for gaming). cheers alan

Like this post
alanstav1970

Likes # 0

my pc spec is- intel(r)core(tm)2 quad cpu [email protected] 2.40ghz. ram 2.00gb. 32bit operating system

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You have forgotten to mention the most important component the motherboard.But I am guessing that your motherboard has a PCI-E slot for your graphics card. Although you have mentioned a limited budget,how much is that exactly? What sort of games do you play?

Like this post
alanstav1970

Likes # 0

shooter,rpg(assasins creed,sniper elite,batman etc)how do i check what motherboard? pc novice cheers alan budget £100

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Use this SIW. Scroll down to the free version,download and install and then open the program. On the left hand side under Hardware you will see a Motherboard heading, click on that and on the right hand side you will see, under Summary your motherboard maker and model.

Like this post
alanstav1970

Likes # 0

packard bv pn5-e sli 1.xx 50434e

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Sorry should have asked what size power supply have you,you will need to take of the side and have a look and it will say,I think 350/400W. Can you check as that also makes a difference to your upgrade choices.

Like this post
alanstav1970

Likes # 0

it says"total output continuous shall not exceed 400watts"

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You are going to struggle with 400W PSU to get a decent upgrade as you really need 450W minimum and ideally 500W to be sure. But leave it with me and I'll have a look around.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Do you have a 6 Pin connector on your power supply. Scroll down this page to see what I mean. 6 Pin connector.

Like this post
alanstav1970

Likes # 0

where would i find this?,is it plugged into something? sorry for being stupid

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more