We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

is someone trying to scam me?

Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@)

Likes # 0

Hi all

This happened on Thursday... I received a phonecall from an asian man claiming to be from microsoft, tellling me that they had identified 1300 or so errors and 300 yellow flags on my computer and was at risk of shutting down completly.I asked how he had this info and he said from my IP address, he also told that repairs can be done off-line so i shouldn't worry

He said I should switch on my PC and press windows and R simultaniously.

At this point I asked him his name 'Auther, and he gave me a phone number 020xxxxx(can't remember) . I told him that I could not do anything at this moment as I was just putting my 5year old daughter to bed.

He insisted go on my PC as he said I may only have 1/2 hour before PC becomes inoperable).

I asked him if he had children (he said he had a 18month old daughter), so I asked if he would leave her alone in the bathroom whilst he went off to sort his PC?

He ws about to insist again and I told him the conversation was over, and he should ring back at a more convinient time.(giving me time to chat to you guys)

Anyway yesterday he rang twice but wife answered and told him I was not here, and today he has rang 3 times, but unhappy wife fobbed him off again.

On a couple of occasions when something on PC has crashed and it asks if you want to report it to microsoft I have pressed yes.

If he is bone-fide then it would be good to sort any errors

Any ideas what i should do when he rings back.

cheers

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

A well known scam. MS will never call you . Some people let these scammers hold on until they give up, others simply put the phone down. I bet he did not give you his phone no. I think its best just to put the phone down.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@), recently I've had two similar phone calls and I can't help but laugh. I honestly can't help it. You get a phoney call from someone who purports to work for Microsoft, in a serious but barely understandable voice, then I crack up. I find it very amusing and when I laugh they very rudely hang up.

Strange conniving people methinks. Still, I have a good chuckle.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes a nasty scam. Just put: microsoft scam phone call into gooogle search (or whatever internet search you use)

Like this post
PSF

Likes # 0

This is a very common scam, If you do not know much about your pc don't let them talk you into doing anything on it. Just tell them it is a mac!!

I had this call last year http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4074722/microsoft-phonecallis-it-a-scam/

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

If he calls again, ask him "What computer?"

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Tell him that you work for Microsoft as well and can he tell you his payroll number. The answers you get are quite amusing!

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

My wife's had a number of these calls just recently. She keeps them talks for ages, before saying that she does not have a computer.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

hssutton - That's a good one! Made me laugh anyway ~

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...