We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

avast uninstall

norrisnovice

Likes # 0

i have tried everything to uninstall the free version of avast which expired it won t even let me upgrade to the paid version or the latest free version i have tried the avast uninstall tool and revo all i get is some message informing fatal error set up cannot continue my friend uses her pc mainly for games so so far running no anti virus hasn't proved a problem but i wouldnt want to continue long term with out one i have followed the advice people were kind enough to give me in april but to no avail anyone got any ideas please

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

enter link description here Click Herefor tool to remove avast good luck.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I must admit I have tried their removal tool in safe mode with no success maybe someone can give you more advice on how to uninstall it manually.I managed to get rid of it using Revo but never had it set to the 100% so probably still have some of it on my computer.

Just removed the folder so not sure if that does any good or not.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

To find the folder.My Computer.Click on Local disk C. Program Files.And Avast should be in there.Deleting the folder should make no difference I would not think but as I don't use it anymore I have removed it.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

You don't mention the operating system that's being used, it might help?.

Have you checked start-up, programmes, add/remove, desktop etc to see if it is still showing on the computer?.

Have you tried a direct over the top re-install of Avast, free version or otherwise?.

I use Revo on a number of occasions when a program refuses to un-install using the programs own un-installer, and Revo usually works if you use it correctly. When it gives a fatal error message, do you try continue?.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

You can have a read here if you don't mind going into the registry.

http://eugene2k.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-force-uninstall-a-program

They do advertise a program to go to to remove it for you ignore it it is a bad site.

Does it show in Revo Uninstaller if so there are other programs that will force the uninstall.I have Advanced Uninstaller Pro [ Free ]downloaded and it gives you the opertunity of doing a forced uninstall .But I have never used it before so can not comment whether it works or not.

I would imagine there are other programs that do the same Not sure if C Cleaner does it or not.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

tried everything to uninstall the free version of avast which expired

Avast doesn't expire as such all you need to do is re-register it

see here

Like this post
steviekm

Likes # 0

Hi, This may be a silly question but have you gone into the Avast menu and disabled the self protection mode before uninstalling? If not it won't let you uninstall. 1) disable self protection mode 2)Reboot 3)Remove Avast with Revo

It's worked for me on several occasions

Good luck

Like this post
norrisnovice

Likes # 0

thanks everyone i will look at some of these suggestions today when i ran revo the first two steps ran then on the 3rd step the pop up box avast fatal error set up cannot continue i have then left revo running for 5 10mins and nothing i have tried to install the latest version of avast but always get this fatal error message the programe avast is still there when i go to control panel cc cleaner does not get rid of it either the reason i orginally wanted to uninstall it was because it wouldnt let me upgrade it was only on my friends pc for 3months will see what happens today thanks again al

Like this post
norrisnovice

Likes # 0

thanks everyone i will look at some of these suggestions today when i ran revo the first two steps ran then on the 3rd step the pop up box avast fatal error set up cannot continue i have then left revo running for 5 10mins and nothing i have tried to install the latest version of avast but always get this fatal error message the programe avast is still there when i go to control panel cc cleaner does not get rid of it either the reason i orginally wanted to uninstall it was because it wouldnt let me upgrade it was only on my friends pc for 3months will see what happens today thanks again al

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home