We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Boot failure & unusual shutdown freeze

frybluff

Likes # 0

System (Win7 64bit) failed to boot. "Windows failed to start" message. Used utilities disk to run hardware diagnostics. No fault found. Restored using Acronis, going back couple of days, to hopefully pre-date any possible virus (had done scan around then). System up & running OK. Ran full malwarebytes scan, to be sure I had pre-dated anything nasty. Then I thought I should re-boot, to make sure it would.

I then got the following message, that I've not previously seen. "Operation in progress. Please wait. System will turn off automatically after operation is complete".

After an hour, it still said the same thing. After another hour, I gave up and forced shutdown. I restarted in safe mode. No problem. Restarted normally. No problem.

All appears to be OK, but can't help thinking something is waiting, in the wings, to jump up and bite me.

Is there diagnostic, I can run, or anything else, to either find a hidden issue, or reduce the risk?

Many thanks.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Is there any info/clue in Event Viewer?

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Chronus

Glad you mentioned that as, to be honest, was not previously aware of "event viewer".

The only "events" logged, seem to relate to the Operation in progress "freeze". One with a time around the message first appearing, the other, when I forced shutdown. BOTH are given the same ID (41), and both given same Task (63). Both are described as "rebooted, without clean shutdown". The second, I suppose, is understandable. The first may be why message appeared to "freeze" forever. There was no "event" aound or prior to boot failure.

System booted up fine, this am, but expression "false sense of security" springs to mind.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Might be something here that will help point you in the right direction. Google

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED