We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

ivy V sandy

nickf

Likes # 0

I am going to be building a gaming PC , with good graphics card ( most likely gtx670 ) would ther be any significant advantage in fitting an ivybridge cpu over a sandybridge cpu ?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

IB Pros: newer tech, less power consumption, faster at stock speeds compared to SB Cons: Heat issues when OC, less capable OC unless you're pro at it and knows exactly what to do

SB Pros: Great to OC, more user friendly to OC, and when OC, performance is very similar to IB that it is almost negligible, no heat issues in air, stable Cons: More power consumption, one generation old

So, if you ask me, I will choose SB if you're new to OC and IB if you either want to keep your CPU at stock, you're pro at OC, or you plan only to do mild OC. As for phasing out the socket type, IB is the last LGA 1155 CPU. The next generation will be a different socket type (not sure what it would be).

In my opinion stick with the SB as IB is only a small upgrade and not worth the extra cost.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Thanks for that , I was leaning towards SB , I am now perseuded !

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......