We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet problem

JF25

Likes # 0

I have a problem with my internet not starting after being unused for a few days on my Acer laptop. There is nothing wrong with the router as all lights are blue and the laptop works perfectly. I get a message that Bt ,my server will get it back going again which it does but it takes time to get going again as I have to go through the whole process of all the different pages. My laptop runs Vista home premium and has 4gb of memory. It also loses the correct ime as well after unuse for a few days, oddly enough it is only the hour time that is affected the minutes are always right. The Clock is a bit annowing but can be lived with but any suggestion what might be causing the internet drop out would be appreciated. Thanks J

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Can you connect another computer to the modem? , if so does the internet work OK?.

It appears by your letter that BT is aware of the problem, but is slow in finding the problem- How long have you had the problem?.

If this is a wireless connection, could you fit a cable between the modem and the computer to try out a direct link.

I'm wonndering if the battery in your laptop has developed a fault and is no longer supplying enough power to keep your system setting OK-- Does it work alright when plugged into the mains?.

Just suggestions to try

Terry

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I think if you put the clock to the correct country and time zone it will cure the internet dropouts. At the moment your computer does not have the same time settings as your ISP server so every time it checks it they 'argue' with each other.

Like this post
JF25

Likes # 0

Thank you Terry and lotvic. 1It is a wireless connection and which works perfectly with my desktop PC. I assume therefor that the fault lies with my laptop so I have not been in touch directly with BT only their automatic service.

Lotvic I think you may be right about the time zones which would account for the minutes being correct and the hours wrong but I do not know how to change the time zone, perhaps you could help. Thanks again John

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Click on the clock, and that should bring a window up, so you can make changes to time, zone etc.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If the date and minutes are correct then click on the clock as spuds suggests, click change date and time settings, and under the Date and Time tab check it's set to (UTC) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London. Tick the box for Notify me when the clock changes. Under the Internet Time tab select change settings and check the box is ticked for synchronize with an internet server, my selection is time windows .com. Always select the Apply tab when making changes. It could be you're on the wrong settings as it is BST.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...