We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Partition Hard Drive

D@z©

Likes # 0

I need to format my PC so is there a free and easy way to partition my hard drive so I can back up my files so I can format on the other partition? Thanks.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Would help if you say what Op Sys and if 32 or 64 bit. If you have an external harddrive it would be safer to copy your files onto that, you could consider also burning to DVD any really important stuff.

Like this post
D@z©

Likes # 0

Why do people always state the obvious!! Windows 7 64 bit and if I had an external hard drive I would use it, and theres too much to save to disc.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

With your sort of attitude people will be falling over themselves to offer advice. Lotvic made a reasonable suggestion given the woeful lack of detail in your original post.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Sorry, didn't mean to offend :(

Like this post
D@z©

Likes # 0

You didnt offend I said it a bit tongue in cheek hence the exclamation marks.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have found Easeus a good partition tool, easier than the built in one.

Easeus I have 100 Gig for programmes, balance for data

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

OK. I'm going to state the obvious again. A consideration is, if harddrive has a hidden 'factory restore' partition, you will probably lose that facility by virtue of rearranging the partitions.

I can't recommend a 'good' freebie as I use AcronisTI and an ext HDD so will butt out now and hope that others who have used a good 'un to do what you want will respond.

You may find it helpful to read other threads to get a bit of a 'feel' for it before you decide. If you copy and paste:

Partition Hard Drive site:pcadvisor.co.uk/forums

into google you will get the relevant threads on pca.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Also see here re backing up etc. back up

Like this post
D@z©

Likes # 0

I have installed easeus as you suggested John but I cant find 'create partition' or anything when I click on my hard drive just resize, copy, merge etc..?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Easeus Partition Master or MiniTool Partition Wizard will allow resize and creation of another Partition for backup.

Windows should NOT be re-installed via a Recovery Partition or Recovery DVDs since it may wipe the whole disk, including the new partition with the backed up files.

Use a W7 Install DVD instead.

Note that Partition software occasionally manages to corrupt a whole disk anyway. So there is some risk.

All Program Files will need re-installing of course.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014