We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Apple Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ipad needs to go so want a notebokk/laptop

KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I have decided that my ipad2 32Gb is not what I want so am selling it and am looking for either a notebook or a smallish laptop to replace it.

Deciding on which one is way outside my comfort zone being a builder of high performance gaming desktop PC's.I would be doing in nothing more than surfing and office type work maybe the odd flash game type thing. I quite like the spec of:

Toshiba NB520

Toshiba NB550D

Samsung NC110

But as I said not my area so looking for personal experiences of the above or indeed others.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Chronus: I've had very good experience with the Asus EEE PC. If it can take my daughter's abuse, it'll take anything. The other daughter has had two Acer netbooks. The first one developed a fault - don't remember what (power brick connection?) - and Argos exchanged it under warranty. Fyi, second daughter does a huge amount of typing, and chose the Acer because of its keyboard layout. Only problem was, the replacement notebook came with Windows 7 - but only 1GB memory. That caused it to freeze/slow pretty regularly. I ended up upgrading it to 2GB (heart-stopping stuff) and now it runs fine. (The EEE PC is an XP machine with 1GB and has always run well). I guess one of the key things to look out for, given that netbooks don't have CD drives, is what arrangements the manufacturer has made for reinstallation etc - e.g. disks, recovery partition and so on.

Good luck!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I've got a Packard Bell 10" netbook and it's OK. To be honest I don't use it much now as the screen is a tad small for me but useful at times simply for the size. It runs XP. Next time I will be looking for a good processor, you can get dual-core, and long battery life is important. Also three usb ports and a card reader. Not so important is HDD size and, as Ian in Northampton says, you will upgrade the ram to 2 gig anyway.

Good hunting.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Thanks so far, I am not overly concerned with OS as I would be installing Win 7 so backup and restore will not be an issue and adding RAM if necessary would not be a problem and chances are I would be swapping out the HDD with a SSD drive.

Card readers are not needed but USB's are, there positioning is also important as I have come across laptops that have the USB ports side by side which can make inserting two USB plugs problematic.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This caught my eve, Lenovo but not sure about the CPU. It also has a 11.6" screen.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have a larger Toshiba and my local repair man says that spares etc are easier than many brands. You are an expert on these forums; I recommend a Toshiba of your choice, ideally from John Lewis, who offer a two year warranty.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I think I am leaning more towards a notebook as opposed to a laptop,I really do not need anything very big in regards to screen-size. I think most of the Toshiba's are pretty large screen so they are pretty much out of the reckoning.

I am in no hurry to get anything the ipad will do for now,I have a date with either a GTX680 or a GTX670 first.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It largely depends on your budget and where you want to use it eg on travels. You may want to consider an ultrabook. For netbooks the Acer Aspire One D255 gets some good reviews.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

The only experience I have with Toshiba laptops is the hard drives always seem weak. Over the past couple of years when friends and family have bought Toshiba laptops to me with problems it has always been the drives and their software for recovering corrupt sectors is nowhere near as good as the others.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Woolwell The Acer you mentioned was almost a contender except the 1GB RAM,even with Win7 starter thats a no no.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The Acer Aspire One 722 has 2Gb RAM. Personally I'm not a fan of netbooks I'd rather have a small screen laptop or tablet.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch R video review: The most desirable Android Wear smartwatch

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming th)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad