We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB drive showing 0MB

Mak2000

Likes # 0

My usb drive has got corrupted or something, It now shows 0MB used and 0MB available. It's changed and when try to open it, message appears,'insert disk'. I need to recover the data from it but nothing seems to recognise the drive as usb storage. Can any one help please. Thanks

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

ok try recuva it may help, read the notes with it b4 u proceed

recuva

Like this post
Mak2000

Likes # 0

I tried recuva, but because the drive shows 0MB, Recuva says there's no drive.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

What operating system is the PC you are inserting the USB stick in running? The reason for asking I have several USB drives and a couple of them are not recognised by Windows 7 but work perfectly well on an XP PC.

Like this post
Mak2000

Likes # 0

I've tried with XP, Win7 and Mac. Mac doesn't recognise it at all, windows sees it as a empty CD/card reader.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

What make/model is the usb drive? Some of them have a recovery option/diagnostic downloadable from manufacturers website.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Sounds like the connection(s) from the board to the contacts on the plug have cracked - this is a fairly common problem.

Try it in a little used USB socket to see if it will work, if all else fails then carefully take it apart and re-solder the connections. I have managed to get a couple working that way.

Like this post
Mak2000

Likes # 0

No, I tried everything but nothing worked. Thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

What to watch on Netflix: The 95 best movies on Netflix UK 2015

IDG UK Sites

Race to claim thinnest smartphone is pointless: Let's focus on the important things

IDG UK Sites

Free indie comics: Nobrow launches a digital comics iPad app

IDG UK Sites

Apple Q1 2015 financial results: Analysts predict Apple's holiday quarter sales ahead of Tuesday's...