We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Packard Bell Charging Problem

CasualCoconuts

Likes # 0

I currently own a Packard Bell laptop, apologies I don't know the model, but I've had it for a few years now, and something happened a while back, so the laptop relies on the charger to actually stay on; as soon as the charger is removed, the laptop immediately shut down. We thought this had something to do with the charger, as we kept receiving a message "(plugged in, not charging)" then it switched every few seconds to charging, then back again. So, bearing this in mind, we very recently bought a new charger, exact same as the latter, but the wires were not chewed this time, but the same message comes up! "0% (plugged in, not charging)" then changing every few seconds! Same thing happens when you take the charger out, straight shut down, have no idea what to do now?

P.s, sorry for the long question, very exasperated!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Flat battery is cause of the shutdown on removal of mains connection.

If your battery is not charging causes are :-

Bad battery - renew

Bad mains power adaptor - renew (you have done)

Bad contacts between battery and laptop - clean with a electrical cleaner (AC90) or try leaning the contacts on both the battery and the laptop with an ink rubber (eraser).

Static on the motherboard - Laptop Battery not showing Charging

1. Turn off the computer,
  2. Take the battery out
  3. Take out the power supply
  4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds.
  5. Reconnect power supply
  6. Then the battery.

Bad motherboard charging circuit - fraid there is little you can do about this but change the board a new laptop may even be cheaper.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Try Fruit Bat /\0/\ selection and if it still does not work go through the procedure again but ignore Number6 and try it with the battery disconnected.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

It sounds to me like the pin that the plug goes to has come loose from the motherboard, it is a common problem with laptops.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features