We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem with 5.1 Surround Speakers

toogie

Likes # 0

I recently changed my PC to a Dell OptiPlex 755 and installed a 5 Channel Low Profile PC1 Sound Adaptor Card - 24 Bits. I followed the instruction to first disable the on-board sound "SoundMax Integrated Digital HD Audio". Despite all of this my 5.1 Surround system only comes out of the left and right front speakers. I can see nowhere in the Control Panel "Sounds and Audio Devices" where I can rectify this problem. I would be grateful for any advice.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I would have thought that the ability to drive a 5.1 speaker set would have come from drivers or associated application software? Were either of those supplied and did you install them? If you did, you probably need to be looking at something other than Control Panel/Sounds.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Which operating system?

Under sounds have you changed the speaker configuration from stereo to 5.1?

How have you connected the speakers?

Like this post
toogie

Likes # 0

Ian... - I have found my "Creative Sound Blaster" Installation CD which came with my "Creative Inspire 5.1 5300" speakers but when I try to run it I get the message "Setup could not detect any Sound Blaster Audio card on your system" This is obviously the case because that card is in my old PC!!

Woolwell - XP OS, I had changed speaker configuration to 5.1 - Speakers connected to PC Orange, Green, Black Jackplugs. Did you mean me to check how connected to Subwoofer etc?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

What brand and model of sound card did you install? Did you install the drivers that came with it. Obvious question (and I don't want to offend) but you are using the new cards outputs? Under device manager is the new card shown and is shown as working correctly?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes