We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Virus 101010

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

XP PC. Owner called by ‘Microsoft’ and allowed them to access his computer. When he (finally!) became suspicious, pulled the plug. On restart, a popup appeared with a 10min countdown running ‘You are infected by virus 101010 – computer will close down in 10mins’ . Ran MBAM etc, but no go. Finally cleared the countdown by running Combofix.

PC runs OK now, but a spurious popup appears after boot. If try to close it down, another appears ‘WARNING…’ etc which cannot be closed down. Its annoying. I can get rid of it by ending WScript.exe in Task Manager, so, any ideas please?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

As far I can see Virus 101010 was little more than a prank. Virus 101010

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Yes, that's true back then, but this one was installed by the 'erberts in India and forced a shutdown after 10minsafter each boot. As I said, the remaining popup is more of a nuisance than anything, but I'd like to get rid of it before I hand the PC back if I can.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Have you tried a Restore to before the "infection" arose?

Like this post  
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Not yet, but I will. Thanks for reminding me!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks for the prompy, John - whatever 'India' downloaded has been removed by System Restore.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

My apologies,I did not read your original post correctly.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Glad it worked but if there are any later restore points after the infection, don't forget to delete them and make a new one with the clean system.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks - have done.

prompy? Where's the edit button we were promised two years ago?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 release date, new features and compatibility: Free to download from 6pm

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?