We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Android phone users and looking ones handset.

julius44

Likes # 0

Good afternnon to you all, I hope its ok to post this query here please. I'm an android phone user, the wonderful Galaxy S2 to be precise. My neighbout has a galaxy ace handset, and unfortunatly it was lost over the weekend, and it had all her contacts, photos etc, she's got a new handset now anyway.

Now my query is this is there a way to store all the data on an android handset on the cloud, i.e, back it up so that if ones fone is misplaced, and I then get a new android handset, I can sybc BACK ALL my contacts, picures, apps, etc please??

This was just a thouhg, as I my galaxy handet has so much information like contacts, family pictures, apps etc......so is there a way to do this please??

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You can connect your phone to the PC using this, Samsung Kies, this will enable you to back everything to your computer. I am not sure if this includes apps but certainly everything else.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

I've just signed up for Google Drive, which gives me 5Gb (I think) of storage on the cloud. With the Drive software installed on my PC and on my Android phone, I can access the files from either device.

It seems to be quite basic -- it simply installs a new folder called "Drive" on your device, and anything you save, or copy, into that folder can be seen, and used, by your PC and phone. You can get extra capacity for an annual charge.

I don't think its worth trying to save apps because you can always reinstall them direct from the Play Store (as it's now called).

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

There is also My Phone Explorer which is a really good bit of freeware. It was originally developed for Sony Ericsson phones but later opened up to include Android phones (It works on ALL Android versions from 1.6 upwards). I've used it for years and it's an excellent program. I've never used Samsung Kies, so have no way of comparing the two, but it works great on my HTC Desire and lets me both control my phone through my pc (When connected, obviously) and also I can do full back ups of all contacts, files, photo's, apps etc.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

My daughter uses Kies with her Galaxy S2 and she swears by it!

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Strawballs

I'm looking to get an S2 next month when current contract expires, so I'll try and compare the two then.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I use Samsung Kies and I dislike it. It works but I think that the interface is poor and the sync with Outlook doesn't work well. The S2 and now the S3 are very good phones though.

Like this post
julius44

Likes # 0

Thank toy all for your info...i'm currently using the samsung Kies at present, it seems to back up all my stuff but not my apps incase i'm missing something?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

As has been pointed out apps do not get backed up,it is necessary to download and reinstall them. This may be of use App backup.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more