We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to enable wireless lan on laptop

griffo

Likes # 0

I have an aged Acer Aspire 5021WLMi (XP) and the wireless on/off button on the front won't function.

All appears fine in device manager but in Launch Manager it says 'can not load HotKey.sys

Also, in Launch Manager, 'Wireless Device Boot Status' is greyed and shows 'Always Off'.

Can anyone kindly tell me how to do one of the following please?

Replace the wireless button module in the front of the laptop (I have a spare 'dead' machine that had a functioning button) or

Switch on the wireless device by some other means.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers

Like this post
griffo

Likes # 0

Don't know what happened to the formatting there but it should read ...

Replace the wireless button module in the front of the laptop (I have a spare 'dead' machine that had a functioning button) or

Switch on the wireless device by some other means.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

You could always just spend a fiver on a little USB wi-fi dongle. Not elegant, not satisfying - but almost certainly quicker and cheaper...

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

You need to press the (FN) then F10,if that fails you'll have to do like i did for a friend go to Amazon and get a USB dongle and use that.The machine i did it on was an advent but i suspect it would worh on any machine.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try Downloading and Reinstalling Launch Manager from here enter link description here

Install it using "Windows XP sp2 compatibility mode" (right-click on the exe and select "properties")

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Go into services and make sure WLAN is set to automatic and is running.

Like this post
griffo

Likes # 0

Thanks for the responses.

mole44 - Fn F10 doesn't do anything on this PC northumbria61 - may try that later, thanks buteman - it was set to manual but I had tried starting it earlier. Have now changed it to automatic. It is started but the wireless network connection is still showing as 'not connected' in the taskbar. Have tried 'repair' but it says it cannot configure this wireless connection.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Probably Launch Manager as northumbria suggested - it's sorted the same problem for me on a couple of Acers. If not, then I use these - effective and dirt cheap.

Like this post
griffo

Likes # 0

northumbia61

Did the Launch Manager update and that's fixed it, even the button on the front is working again - many thanks!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good