We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Latest BT Special offer on Broadband and Phone?.

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

Many years ago, I was a subscriber to GPO then BT, leaving to join Lineone/BT Surftime.

Over the years BT have made various offers so that I would return to their services. Over the past month BT have tried to entice me to one of their latest offers, Free Call for a year with BT Total Broadband for £13 per month.

I am seriously considering this latest offer, but I am wondering if its to good to be true, because I seem to recall that it was perhaps mentioned on somewhere like the BBC Watchdog program, that the small print need close observation.

Question: Have you transferred to this new deal, or one of BT's new deals,or perhaps have information that might be interesting to know first, before taking the plunge?.

Wasn't sure whether that should have gone in Consumer Watch, but Help is required!.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone, its getting very interesting and promising as to whether I should go ahead with a change.

My present ISP as promised to get back to me in respect of a 'loyalty offer' to remain with them. I have been waiting 11 days now,for a reply?.

Keep the info running!.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have a normal BT phone line in the belief that repair to the line is quicker with them (maybe false?). I am with Talk Talk at £15 a month for Broadband as I was with Pipex for 12 years. Service poor but speeds now 9 - 10 Mbps (up to 8 paid for)and a rolling monthly contract with no spam. Also I have a Vonage Broadband phone at £9 or so a month for unlimited calls to UK, Eire, Australia, USA and most European countries. Total may be a bit high but my wife uses the telephone a lot and we hardly use the BT telephone as such. I have a phobia about being locked in to a long contract as if the service is so poor you want to switch, you have to pay the balance of the contract. If I were to switch ISP's it would be to Zen (UK based), rolling monthly contracts)and top rated by Which.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

My best ISP so far has to be Plusnet. Customer service in UK and very helpful. My line is now 6 meg instead of 3 but took a few weeks to sort. £17.99 pm for 60 gig and use BT for line.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Should have added, one month contract, and use my own routers.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I am,as stated,with Be Broadband and as my initial contract has finished it is now a rolling monthly. This is unlimited downloads between 8-9meg a really reliable service for £10.20 a month. I also do not use the supplied (router BeBox) but my own and simple to set up. The only fly in the ointment is the Asian based customer service. I have only used them once in the 5 years I have been with Be and it was exactly like any and all other Asian based call centres,they seem to work purely to a script and there are always language difficulties.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

My phone line / calls are with BT. Broadband with Plusnet

Currently paying £120p.a. up front line rental (=£10p.m.) + £4.90p.m. for Unlimited Anytime calls (includes all geographic 01, 02, 03, 0870 and 0845 calls 24/7, but not 0844) - and yes it is genuine. Calls restricted to 1 hour at a time (at which point you just redial).

Broadband is (£6.49p.m.) on what is supposedly an 8mbps service (but I often get above that - approaching 10mbps sometimes). I know that sounds perverse, but that's the way is is. For $6.49p.m it is capped at 10GB, which is well enough for me and I find the service pretty good.

So total for phone, calls and broadband = £21.39p.m.

BTW, wouldn't touch TalkTalk with bargepole.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Plusnet is part of the BT group, and I have considered them, but there was a slight problem when I first checked them out, when they entered the market. They didn't cover the whole of the UK, and some areas seemed to have a difference regarding charges and package deals. I will have a further look at Plusnet, mainly due to their UK Northern call centre and a more direct approach.

As per usual, the service with TalkTalk as improved again since yesterday, with good connection and acceptable speed. But I wonder for how long?.

One thing I have found about the offer I was referring to, and what is published in the media. If you go direct to the BT website and transfer that way, BT will at present, give you a further bonus of £25.00 in Sainsbury's vouchers.

I think that I will have another go at TalkTalk about their lack of interest regarding their promised loyalty contact. Whether I do this via a email or letter contact, or make an attempt via their forum (if I can gain access?), then I will see my way forward in resolving the issues!.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

AOL 'retained' me 2.5 yrs ago. I bought new W7 laptop and needed wireless router.

I phoned their UK Sales line (see ISPs in Yellow Pages/Thomson local) and didn't even threaten to leave.

They also reduced my pcm charge to £9.99 (since risen to £12.79) and kept me Unlimited.

I had to agree to 18 months then 1 month rolling contract.

All sorted 'on-the-spot'

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

robinofloxley

Maybe lucky you were not trying to cancel your AOL account!

Trying to cancel

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Just made another attempt to use the TalkTalk forum, and it still refuses access, because apparently I do not hold a TalkTalk account?.

Sent an email (again) about this problem, so its a case of wait and see before I can ask questions, in the hope of a response on that forum.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good