We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Images and text overlapping on websites

Pineman100
Resolved

Likes # 0

A pal of mine runs Vista and Internet Explorer 7.

He recently had to have his computer repaired and his software reinstalled. He now finds that a number of his favourite websites suffer from overlapping images and blocks of text, when viewed on his screen.

I've found a number of quite complex solutions to this problem on the internet, but I wondered whether the easiest solution might simply be to upgrade to IE8 or even 9.

Do you think this would solve the problem? Will IE9 run satisfactorily under Vista?

Thanks for any advice.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If he has had a reinstall of Vista and is on IE7 whoever did it hasn't run Update.

He needs to run Windows Update and be prepared for a long session as there will be a lot of updates to download and install, some of which will require a restart (will be a prompt on the screen when this is needed).

IE8 or 9 will be offered as part of the Microsoft update.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

IE9 is fine on Vista. I would upgrade from IE7 in any case because of the improved security. However has the internet options been set back to default and has he tried without add-ons?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

lotvic's point about the updates is good.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Many thanks to you both for that advice.

Unfortunately, this guy is totally useless at anything other than just the most basic computer use, so I don't think he'll understand about running IE without add-ons, or setting it back to default.

I reckon the safest route is probably just for me to explain how to run Windows Update, which will presumably install IE9 at its default setting anyway.

Does that sound sensible to you?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If Windows Update hasn't been run then it should be. But he may not like the IE9 lay out!

Like this post  
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell. You're probably right that he'll moan that things in IE have changed, but he'll just have to get used to it!

I'll suggest the update to him.

Many thanks again to you and lotvic.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014