We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Confused??

Sheps
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi ya All, My problem today is...just purchased a Belkin wireless router from Argos, got it home and it turns out I should of purchased the Belkin wireless phone line router !!!
Is there anyway I can use the one I purchased, as Argos wont take it back cos its exempt from the 30day money back, we only want to exchange it for the phone line one, my son uses a desktop in his room, I use WiFi laptop downstairs, and all our phones use the WiFi too. Looking at the box there is only a Ethernet cable a mains cable, where as the one I'm currently running has a asdl cable, Ethernet cable, mains cable. Thanks in advance for any advise Paula

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

A bit puzzled by this. Which model did you buy?

Did you buy it to replace the adsl one? If so why?

Like this post
Sheps

Likes # 0

We purchased the Belkin surf n300 wireless router but should of got Belkin surf n300 phone line router. Reason for this is my son plays on his Xbox and also world of Warcraft on the desktop pc. I use my Lappy via wifi and he said it just soooo slow. We are currently using a adsl aol router huwei which is the freebie one you get. Before we had a Thomson and we never suffered this lagging !

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Ok so you bought the wireless router instead of the wireless modem router which confusingly is also called the Surf N300 and is about £20 more. Surprised that Argos will not take it back. It is not marked as being excluded from the 30 day return on their website. I would go back and point that out.

You will need a modem but that may cost as much.

There are many reasons for the slowness apart from the router. Have you tried different channels, it will drop if you both are using the internet at the same time. What is your download speed?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Did you try to take it back or are you just supposing Argos won't swap it for you?

If it is unused and you take it straight back you may be able to persuade them to swap for the adsl phoneline modem router one as it is a genuine mistake.

(I'm presuming it is to replace your existing adsl aol router huwei)

The Belkin surf n300 wireless router needs to plug into a modem - don't know if you will be able to plug it into your existing adsl aol router huwei to be able to use it, so will butt out now and leave to others to advise.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

For your connection you should have got the modem-router one. You've just bought a router so you would need to buy a separate modem. Not ideal. Give Argos a call and tell them of your mistake and see if they can help as it is a new purchase.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Regardless of call-centre advice (if negative) I'd say it's also worth trying in-store, and politely ask to see the manager if no joy.

I got a free Photoframe from Currys that way when I bought a new laptop.

Strictly I shouldn't have got it. But they were confused over their offer, and I was. Call Centre had no information, so said just go to your nearest store with receipt. Eventually, the Manager said "Oh well you've made a special trip, really it's Currys On-line Offer and you bought in-store, but we will honour it this time"

No shouting or bad feelings on either side. I was quite pleased to get such a result from the 'dreaded' DSG mob.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Looking at the T&C/returns and refunds "If a product is excluded from our 30-day money-back guarantee, it is clearly marked by a † next to the product name in the catalogue and on this website".

The only items I can see marked on the web page are the Netgear routers, the Belkin routers are not marked and should be allowed back under the 30-day money-back guarantee. As Woolwell has stated take it back if the service counter refuses to exchange ask to speak to the manager.

Like this post
Sheps

Likes # 0

Hi ya guys, Just to say thank you for your help&advise. Well today I took z chance and returned the router, I walked in and Thks me hand up and said it was my mistake ordering the cable router instead of the phone line one, she said had I opened it which I couldn't lie cos the cellophane was missing but I said it had not been used which it hadn't, I said I'd been on the phone to customer services and they said it was up to the discreation of the store manager. So the lady walked off then came back and said OK phewww I was pleased. I just upgraded to the right one and paid the diff and away I came. So thanks again peeps xpaulax

Like this post
Sheps

Likes # 0

Hi ya guys, Just to say thank you for your help&advise. Well today I took z chance and returned the router, I walked in and Thks me hand up and said it was my mistake ordering the cable router instead of the phone line one, she said had I opened it which I couldn't lie cos the cellophane was missing but I said it had not been used which it hadn't, I said I'd been on the phone to customer services and they said it was up to the discreation of the store manager. So the lady walked off then came back and said OK phewww I was pleased. I just upgraded to the right one and paid the diff and away I came. So thanks again peeps xpaulax

Like this post
ronalddonald

Likes # 0

Yes very confusing are you on any tablets or are you playing to many xbox games

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...