We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

how to play/fix a corrupt .mov file

PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, I have a file on my computer that is a .MOV file.

It was something I uploaded from my mobile some months ago and have only just tried to play it.

I have uploaded many other clips with no problems, but this one for some reason just won't let me play it.

One of the pop up windows that comes up says "Cannot play this media file. The file is either corrupt or the application does not support the format you are trying to play".

I have got a couple of media converters on my laptop but none of them seem to be able to convert the file as they say there is an "error opening file".

Is there ANY way I can get this file to play?

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

have you tried vlc player as that will repair some files if that wont play it nothing will i fear

johnny

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Thanks for your reply. I will give it a go. I am afraid it won't be recoverable too but know I always get great responses from this website so thought it was worth a try.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

may be you don't have the correct codec to play it try this codec pack

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/KLiteCodec_Pack.htm

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat - but the first link didn't work and the second my computer won't let me access :(

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

you could try file hippo for codecs

johnny

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Thank you johnny - will try that too. Just trying to find where the VLC Media Player is on my laptop. It says it has installed but doesn't seem to be in the program list.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If all else fails Quicktime plays mov.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

For VLC look under Video Lan

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

QuickTime doesn't work but thanks for suggesting it. I will check the vlc later when on my laptop, but I'm not sure it even downloaded properly as it kept bringing up a pop up window that was just black with a flashing cursor in it - and it only said installed when I closed the window down.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Photoshop for Chromebook: a full version of Adobe's art & photography software will be streamed to...

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK