We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot boot system or enter BIOS

snasty

Likes # 0

my laptop will not boot to windows 7. Problem first started when I was unable to enter my password to open my system. No keystrokes would register. Now I cannot get past Windows boot manager as pressing the keys requested does nothing. The screen appears frozen. The only way out appears to be pressing the power off switch. I cannot acess BIOS on the POST screen either.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Desktop or laptop?

Tried using a USB keyboard?

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

You appear to have locked your windows 7 laptop, however this link may point you in the right direction.

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search;ylt=AmvFfho3Jkl1Dq5xbXM9nL44hJp4;ylc=X1MDMjAyMzM5MjMxMgRfcgMyBGZyA3lmcC10LTcwMgRuX2dwcwMwBG9yaWdpbgN1ay55YWhvby5jb20EcXVlcnkDdW5sb2NrIHdpbmRvd3MgNyBzZWN1cml0eSBsb2Nsb3V0BHNhbwMx?p=unlock+windows+7+security+loclout&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-702

Terry

Like this post
bob.

Likes # 0

make and model of laptop may help.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Like this post
bob.

Likes # 0

Like this post
snasty

Likes # 0

The Laptop is an Acer Aspire 5338, on one occasion I managed to get past the boot screen by using the repair disc to boot. I could put my password in by using the on screen keyboard. But things were not correct on the desktop. Lots of screen flickering and wrong icons selecting themselves. Also when I tried to look at the start menu the search box kept filling with zeros.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

What happens if you press F10 or F11 at start up.Can you restore to factory settings.Remember if you can do that you would loose any photos ,documents etc.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Tapping F8 at start up does it enter safe mode or not.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If F10 or F11 does not work try pressing Alt + F10 or F11.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'