We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sat Navs- does the soft ware come built in or do you ' rent it'

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

I have oft thought after another episode of getting lost - 'Get a Sat Nav'. After a day or so the feeling wears off. A rectn trip got me lost in the maze of NE London and I really got searching - for a 'Sat Nav' that is. I came across the this one

enter link description here

Reading the spe., however it seeemed to indicate that the item comes with a 'trial version of the software for3 months and there after you pay. Is this right? Is it true for all?

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

That link did not work

Google this

www.Morgan Computers - Navman Mio Spirit 380Sold my

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Normally if you want to update it after the 3 months you would have to pay a yearly conscription.That is the way it was 8 years ago so I would imagine it is the same today.

Maybe the updates are free nowadays.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/product_detail/13066/Navman-Mio-Spirit-380-3-5-GPS-Sat-Nav-with-IQ-Routes/

Going with the price of it it cannot be that good.Good enough for normal use I suppose.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Tom Tom, for instance, are currently charging about £70 for 18 months worth of map updates, but the sat nav comes with a full set of maps. Had my Version 2 for about 5 years and been very pleased with it. I have only ever purchased one map update. I still get free speed camera updates regularly for some reason. Will be testing it on holiday in Dorset soon.

Personally I haven't heard of trial maps before.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Don;t forget to consider the mobile phone route.

If your going to buy a device anyway think of a smartphone.

They come with sat nav built in for nothing, but also have various downloadable apps.

You also have all the other benefits, of course.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have an old Navman F20,which is a superb bit of kit, that usually gets me where I want to go (at least it tells me what road or location I am at). If you check the internet, there are websites that offer 'free' or low cost updates for certain sat-navs, personally I have only updated mine once, and that was a freebie update. I would also mention that Navman (which was bought out or merged with another company) offers great after-sales customer service.

A couple of suggestions to consider, is that I would get a larger screen, because 3.5 is now a lower limit, and if the eyes are not good, then the bigger size will help a lot. Secondly, don't be tempted to buy second-hand, because batteries might be a problem, which will add to the cost, if you have to buy a replacement.

If you want a demo, then try somewhere like Halfords, who have regular special offers on sat-navs, and will demonstrate and set-up the item for you.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I have an old Navman F20,which is a superb bit of kit

Same as mine. Does the job without lots of updates, and as long as you aren't doing a vast amount of travelling it has all the information most people need for everyday use.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room