We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

laptop overheating?

denis93

Likes # 0

i have a medion akoya p8610 laptop,jusy over a year old,it keeps shutting down after about 4 hours,it has no virus`s,i think its over heating,i have it on a cooling pad,and checked the internal fan is clean,other than that im lost,i can feel with my hand,the left hand side gets very hot,what more can i do?,im at my wits end help!

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Download Core Temp and/or Speedfan to check the temps.

I would guess you should idle at 50C'ish.

Load up to 70C'ish.

Shutdownn 90C+?? But it varies for different machines.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As it's taking long to overheat I would also run task manager, as well as above, and check what program is using the CPU the most. There could be some issues with a program continually trying to update, backup, or scanning. If nothing out of the ordinary then it could be the thermal paste. Worth contacting Medion if you suspect that, as the laptop is only over a year old.

Like this post
denis93

Likes # 0

gpu 69c gpu 63c temp 69c hdo 27c temp1 63c core 0 53c core 1 53c

Like this post
denis93

Likes # 0

in task manager system idle is 95 per cent

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Your core temps seem ok. Graphics temp a tad high but ok. I think you need to keep an eye on this, run the PC and check TM occasionally, in case a program kicks in and starts using a lot of CPU.

Like this post
denis93

Likes # 0

rdave13 ok will do

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Further:

I had recent problems when running backups (lots of fluff in fan). Normal use was 10+ degrees better.

Before I got round to stripping and cleaning, I would go into Power Options/Plan Settings/Advanced Power options and set Max Processor at 80% when my temps started creeping up to 85C.

Like this post
denis93

Likes # 0

robinofloxley i put the cpu down to 80% problem is now solved,thank you and every one who helped me,the laptop has been on for a 24 hour test,no overheating now,so again thank you so much,im so grateful,cheers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Tips for selling on eBay: auction tactics to get the best price for second-hand products