We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mozilla Thunderbird locks up NIC

Squirrel1

Likes # 0

I am looking at a friends PC, which is doing something very strange!

If you open Thunderbird, it will fetch emails from her Gmail account and display them in the in-box.

When you double click on an email, it will open in a seprate window, then, if you click on anything 'clickable' in the new window, the hour glass appears next to the mouse pointer and continualy flashes. While this is going on I am unable to access anything on the start menu or open any applications on the desktop. This high level of activity ceases if I unplug the network cable.

I have scanned the PC for viruses using Malwarebytes, and even taken the HDD out and scanned that again using Malwarebaytes....No malware found.

Next I installed Thunderbir on a seprate PC and copied the settings from the original PC to the seprate PC...Does exactly the same!!

Any Ideas..

PS My frend says she clicked on a box which said something to do with HTTP

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If it has just happened recently then try a System Restore to a point immediately before the problem occurred.

Like this post
Squirrel1

Likes # 0

Doh!

Couldn't see the wood for the trees.

I will try this tomorrw and hope someone has not turned off system restore,

Let you know how I get on.

Many Thanks

Like this post
Squirrel1

Likes # 0

I have tried a system restore, and even tried two dates. One very much before this problem occurred. This has failed to correct the problem.

I have uninstalled Thunderbird and run Ccleaner including the registry cleaner.

But when I reinstall Thunderbird, all the original settings are still there, and the original problem still persists.

Any suggestions plaese!

Like this post
Squirrel1

Likes # 0

I have tried a system restore, and even tried two dates. One very much before this problem occurred. This has failed to correct the problem.

I have uninstalled Thunderbird and run Ccleaner including the registry cleaner.

But when I reinstall Thunderbird, all the original settings are still there, and the original problem still persists.

Any suggestions plaese!

Like this post
Squirrel1

Likes # 0

The problem with, what appears to be Thunderbird, is still illuding me!

The problem is:-

Open Thunderbird, and it retreves emails from the Gmail server and lists them in the 'in-box' (so far so good!). When you double click on any of the emails, it will open the email in a new window. If you then click on any of the content within the new window, the hourglass appears next to the mouse pointer (indicating activity), but nothing happens, and the hour glass remains (looks like data is being sent, waits for a reply (which does not return) and resends data, over again continuously. This has a very adverse affect on the operation of the PC and can olny be stopped by unplugging the network cable.

I have done the following:

Full malware scan (Malware Bytes, OS running.

Remove HDD and scan with MalwareBytes.

Restore system to a date where this problem (apparently) did not exist.

Uninstalled Thunderbird and then reinstalled without restoring original settings (they did remain however).

Connected PC to an Internet connection provided by a different ISP.

Installed Thunderbird on a completely differnt PC and copied Thunderbird setting to this PC.

After all of the above attempts I now have two PC's that do exactly the same things.

All I can think of is, there must be a setting somewhere on the Gmail server that is causing this problem, and I cannont find it, and my friend would like their computer back.

Please..Does Someone Out There Know What The Problem Could Be...Please!

Like this post
Squirrel1

Likes # 0

I am still having problems with this machine!!!

I have backed up all the emails and uninstalled Thunderbird, using Total Uninstall.

Microsoft Outlook was then installed and configured for the relevant email account. This fetches the emails ok and opens them ok, but, if I click on any web content, for example 'special offers on Tesco email', a message box appears stating 'This action has been canceled due to restrictions on your computer. Please see your system administrator'. I have not implemented any restrictions on this machine.

I have disabled the Group Policy in gpedit.msc and this has not made any difference.

Does anyone have an idea of what to do. And that does not include placing the amchine into a bin. :0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers