We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Firefox Browser - Progress Bar and Stop Button

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

In earlier versions of Firefox there was a small Progress bar which appeared in the 'Add-on Bar' at the bottom of the window. I found this most useful as some pages tend to hang on loading and can be helped if stopped and restarted; the bar progress was an indicator that a page was hanging.

Similarly the 'Stop' button (a large red cross in the Menu bar) was an accessible way of stopping the page from loading.

Later versions appear to have done away with these facilities (unless they are hidden in an options menu somewhere) and I wondered if anyone knows of a way of regaining them or of an Add-on that provides similar functions.

With thanks for any help.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The stop button is there. When a page is loading look at the end of the address bar where the reload normally is. This changes to stop during loading.

If you look bottom left of the screen you can see different items loading.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

During loading if you look to the left of the tab you will see a green circle which rotates whilst it is loading but this does not show how much is left to do.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Have a look at this add-on Status 4 Evar

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your responses.

It would appear the transition from my earlier version of Firefox when I updated was not quite what Mozilla promised as several of the buttons were missing from the toolbar.

In 'Customise' there are separate black 'Stop' and 'Reload' icons, if dragged to the toolbar only the 'Reload' button is visible until a page is loading when it changes to a black cross as a stop button - as you said. Why they have gone from colour to monochrome for these I have no idea as they were far more visible before.

For the 'Progress' bar I have installed Status 4 Evar from your link and this provides an indication much as was present before.

Once again thanks for your help.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You can change the colours with themes. Perhaps this one Firefox 3 Aero will help.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

This may be better Firefox 3 theme

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

It looks much better and is clearer with Firefox 3 theme Add-on.

Thanks a lot.

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Glad to help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......