We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sky Email & Outlook Problem

Legslip

Likes # 0

This is driving me nuts!

I have set Outlook 2002 as per http://www.skyuser.co.uk/tutorials/1374.html but just cannot get it to work. When I hit the Test Account Settings button I get:

• Send test email message: Unable to logon to the outgoing mail server (SMTP). Please verify your SMTP server and - if your server requires authentication - the authentication information on the 'More Settings' page.

• Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Unable to logon to the incoming mail server (POP3). Please verify the settings in the Username, Password and E-mail fields.

I CAN logon at the SKY website with the username & password that I have set up in Outlook.

Spent ages trying to sort. Any help, greatly appreciated.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

I presume your outgoing server mail is with Sky. For example I use TalkTalk as my ISP but also have GMail and Hotmail accounts. They all use the TalkTalk incoming server, but the Gmail and Hotmail have to use their own outgoing server settings. So I have three different outgoing settings but only one incoming.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks Sea Urchin. The laptop I am setting this up on is currently connected to ISP TalkTalk. However, when I log on elsewhere, it won't always be to a Sky connection.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

The servers you use must exactly match the email. Are you using a TalkTalk email address?

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

The only email address I want to set up in Outlook is the Sky one. The PC at the moment is connected via a TalkTalk router. The O/G SMTP server in Outlook is set to smtp.tools.sky.com.

Thanks for your perseverance.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Sorry but I have to go out now - hopefully someone else can take over

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks Sea Urchin. Greatly appreciated. Anyone got any ideas?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

What is your OS?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Just reread the whole thread. You need to set up the smtp settings for talktalk otherwise you will not be able to send. As you have found you can receive sky but not send.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell. Will try what you say. Only query is that I also have Windows Live Mail on the same PC and I have numerous emails set up on that i.e. .......@btinternet.com & ........@blueyonder.co.uk and they all work while connected via TalkTalk. Why doesn't the Sky account do the same?

Will report back on the new settings in a short while.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I had a similar problem with Orange. gmail etc worked ok with their smtp settings but the orange account would not send until I changed it to my ISP's smtp. One snag I found was that the emails then appeared to have been sent from my ISP (Virgin).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...