We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

DVD formatting

frybluff

Likes # 0

I know this is probably a really stupid question, but do DVD disks need, or benefit, from being formatted, before burning. Can you even do that?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

With DVD RWs you can erase what is on the disc. Your burning software should do this automatically if re-using. For DVD Rs it is a once only write but you can add data if using as a data disc only. Once the disc is full or finalized then R discs cannot be written to again.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Thanks for that. Was just, having splashed out on Acronis, wanting to make bootable media as reliable as possible, and just had thought " I do suppose you're not meant to format first", having had a high failure rate in the past, even using proper burning software. Acronis recommend RW. I don't know why, unless they are better quality, generally, than plain R?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm not familiar with Acronis but if you backup to DVD with incremental backups then RW is the only type to use. I usually create an image on another HDD but I use Paragon.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

If you have Acronis in CD form,it will act as the boot disc.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Downloaded trial from Acronis. Tempted to get hard copy, on Amazon, when I saw difference in price between there, and Acronis' price in GBP. I don't know what they think the exchange rate is! Having said that, I'm always a bit dubious about cheap software, on Amazon. If you upgrade, Acronis do send a DVD copy, for FREE. Yippee doodles!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

10 iPhone app exclusives that make Android users jealous